lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-22-2010, 07:53 AM   #1
TaylorMadeVa
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 1992 - One spark then no spark

When I press the gas pedal on my 1992 Club Car, there's no spark. At approx 1/2 pedal, I get one spark, and that's it. I've already replaced the coil and ignitor. Now I'm thinking it may be the micro switches in the component box, even though they tested fine. At wit's end.
TaylorMadeVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-22-2010, 08:41 AM   #2
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Default Re: 1992 - One spark then no spark

Welcome from another Virginian!!

Your cart has a starting circuit and a grounding circuit.
In the black box under the seat on the left side there are two micro switches stacked one on top of the other,
The top is the starting micro and the bottom one is the grounding micro, unplug the bottom one and then try it for spark.
If no change you can unplug the ground wire coming from the harness at the lower front of the motor to see if it is a harness issue or motor issue.
This motor also has a low oil sensor that will kill spark.
Unplug everything from the ignitor/coil, if they are good and no bare or shorted wire between them it should spark with everything else unplugged.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:26 AM   #3
TaylorMadeVa
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the fast reply. And from right in my back yard (Sandston).

When you say 'unplug the ground wire coming from the harness at the lower front of the motor', do you mean the set of wires from/to the ignitor/rpm limiter? There is a ground attached to the limiter mounting bolt. Or do you mean the bullet connector coming to that set of wires?

Also, I know I have a low oil warning light, but do I also have a low oil shutoff?
Old 01-22-2010, 09:42 AM   #4
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Yea, if you isolate the ignitor and coil from the rest of the harness you can determine if it is a harness/cart problem (kill micro or wire shorted) or engine problem.
Unhook the ground wire on the rev limiter to see if that is shorting out.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:29 AM   #5
ruredy
Born Wild

not sure on the cc carts but if you put a battery in backwards on a ezgo it'll do this.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:36 AM   #6
TaylorMadeVa
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Wow! I would think a whole lot of stuff would get fried if the battery was in backwards.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:03 PM   #7
ruredy
Born Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorMadeVa View Post
Wow! I would think a whole lot of stuff would get fried if the battery was in backwards.
you would think that but on an ezgo they act just like normal only they spin backwards, spark one time and won't start up. it's a common problem and happens more than people will admit.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:34 AM   #8
ckiguy
Bad *** Speller!

Club Car

if you are concerned with the battery issue, look for the cable that is going and botted to the fram, it is the ground. this ges to the negitve post on the battery. the red wire is the postive, it will go to the black box. it should be on the postive side. i would assume the soloinid and the starter/genny have not been touched, so the wires on it should be fine.
also check all your wires to see if they have been rubbed through shorting out to the frame, and if you have a rodent issue, cause they liek to chew on things, check to make sure they havent made there presents known. dont forget to check under the dash, were they can get up and hide and chew on the smaller wires. but i dont think this is a issue. i had a bees nest under mine, and the were a little pissed when i found them!
to check the oil light circiut, drain all the oil out of the engine case and turn the key to the on postion. the light should light up. the oil light is basicly a float switch. if oil is there it opens the ciciut, no light, no oil, or low oil, light comes on.
ckiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 02:00 PM   #9
TaylorMadeVa
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks to all who helped with this. After testing the micro kill switch, and replacing the coil and ignitor, turns out it was the micro kill switch after all ($2.65 at my local Club Car dealer). At least I know I have some new parts, even if they weren't necessary right now.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:29 AM   #10
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Glad you got it worked out, Hope you kept your old parts for back up.
Now time to have fun!!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car