lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-01-2010, 03:02 PM   #1
svgoodkarma
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Question radio blows fuses when moving

Hi, I have a 60's Cushman Golfster (3 wheel, 36V) that I'm fixing up. I've put on new batteries, cables, and rebuilt the resistor speed control (w/ parts from vintage golf cart and info gleaned by reading here). I promise to put up pictures soon, but right now I'm in need of help with my radio installation.
I tried hooking up the radio to 2 of the cart's 6v batteries. The ignition key switch is negative, so, for my first try, I tried having the radio's negative wire going to that switch (so the radio would only be on when the key is on). The yellow and red from the radio are going to the positive of the battery (next bat. over from where the ignition key switch is getting it's negative).
Well, that worked great sitting in the carport. I was jamming and had the wife psyched up and ready to ride until I tried a victory lap around the house! The negative from the radio to the ignition switch just melted and the internal amp of the radio appeared to be dead. Funny thing though, the 5A fuse on the positive radio wire didn't blow. So, second radio and a different approach; this time I stayed away from the ignition switch, and I just wired directly to 2 bats with an on/off switch wired into the positive.
Again, it worked great standing still, and I thought I had it licked. Until I put the cart into fwd. Again the negative wire was blackened but this time the fuse on the radio + wire blew.
I know about adding an extra 12V bat and will probably just do that, but I've got to know, what was I doing wrong?
Thanks!
svgoodkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-01-2010, 04:18 PM   #2
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Default Re: radio blows fuses when moving

On an electric metal cart you have to make sure the radio case does not ground to the frame.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:41 PM   #3
svgoodkarma
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

My man. You're a genius.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:16 AM   #4
dougmcp
Gone Wild

I hope that means it's fixed. If so, Congrats!
Old 07-02-2010, 05:19 PM   #5
svgoodkarma
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Yes. You were correct. The radio was touching the frame. It's working now, and I've just installed l.e.d tail lights, and a horn. Still working on mounting l.e.d headlight bar I got from eBay.
Thanks for the help!
Old 07-05-2010, 08:03 AM   #6
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Good job! Enjoy the cart.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:00 PM   #7
69makinitmine
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

This is VERY good to know as I have a Cushman Golfster. Is this a problem because of voltage feedback from motor back through body when decelerating or something? I dodged a bullet and wired the grounds to battery just cuz I didn't trust chassis return grounding.
69makinitmine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blow, burn, cushman, fuse, radio
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts