lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-12-2010, 08:20 PM   #1
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Default Fair trade?

I've got an 01 gas club car with a lift kit, knobby tires, rear seat, and headlights. The top is cracked and there is some paint chipped off pretty bad on the front right corner above the headlight. Runs good and is in good condition otherwise. But, I want an electric cart so we can use it at campgrounds we stay at. I have 2 different people with almost identical electric carts that want to trade straight up with me and I'm wondering if it's a fair trade. Both have clean 98 purple electric club cars with lift kits, nice wheels and tires, headlights, taillights, rear seat, and fairly new batteries. One has the wood grain dash kit while the other has a nicely installed cd stereo system.

My wife keeps reminding me that ours is newer and gas carts are supposed to be worth more than the electric ones. However, ours does have a damaged top and some paint damage, as mentioned above.

If an electric cart is more useful to us than gas and vice versa for the people interested in trading, is it a fair trade in your opinion? Or am I coming out on the losing end in some way?
SaltLifeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-12-2010, 09:36 PM   #2
nitro1
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Fair trade?

i would only trade if it has the features ur cart does like lift kit,knobby tires,

if there cart is less value than ur cart take off the rear seat and may be switch to stock tires and sell them and the rear seat or keep them for the electric cart ??

and keep in mind THE BATTERIES how new/old they are if there old it will run u a lot of $$$$$
nitro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:01 PM   #3
roady89
nimda
Club Car

I wouldn't say gas carts are worth more. Maybe to the person buying it. A gas cart is worth crap in MOST parks such as your and even mine. They only allow electrics. I'd say in YOUR situation the electric is the better deal. You'll get more use out of it. I'd check the batts real good and see how much longer they'll last.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:18 PM   #4
jiminpa
Gone Wild

Club Car

Something to think about that may help you decide. Have you looked around your area on prices? If yes, and if you were to sell your cart, could you go out and buy an electric cart exactly the way you want it for what you get out of your cart if you sell it? if not, how much more would you have to put towards it? Maybe you should consider other electric carts besides the two you have already looked at to compare. I think a lot of the value of the cart depends on the part of the country you're in and what locals use carts for. None of the people I know use carts in camp grounds (I think the camp grounds allow gas carts here too), so, around here, it seems an electric cart has much less value, but, that's North West PA. In your case, the electric cart may carry a higher value then a gas cart. You really need to check cart values for your local area.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:25 AM   #5
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Angry Re: Fair trade?

You can barely give an electric cart away around here, gas carts of similar age and condition command a premium of 50 / 60 percent more than the equivalent electric units and consider this, a set of batteries can cost more than a gas engine rebuild, the cost of recharging vs the price of fuel is negligable and just how many weeks a year do you actually spend on the camp ground ? Quite why these places demand the use of electric carts is completely beyond me. You can cruise on in with a gas guzzling 5mpg RV or a smoking stinky diesel, fire up the BBQ with left over two stroke gas, set the boom box to obnoxious, let the kids run around screaming and yelling high as kites on Coca Cola and gummy bears and you are welcomed with open arms but god forbid you unload and drive around on a gas sipping quiet gas cart ? Bloody double standardised tree hugging sob's. Simply claim that you have a hybrid gas/ electric cart, hell, make some stickers for it ! It appears to work quite nicely for the toffee nosed vegetarian twits who drive Toyota Priuses.

Chris.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:10 AM   #6
Boris
DELETED

Quote:
Originally Posted by invalidsession View Post
You can barely give an electric cart away around here, gas carts of similar age and condition command a premium of 50 / 60 percent more than the equivalent electric units and consider this, a set of batteries can cost more than a gas engine rebuild, the cost of recharging vs the price of fuel is negligable and just how many weeks a year do you actually spend on the camp ground ? Quite why these places demand the use of electric carts is completely beyond me. You can cruise on in with a gas guzzling 5mpg RV or a smoking stinky diesel, fire up the BBQ with left over two stroke gas, set the boom box to obnoxious, let the kids run around screaming and yelling high as kites on Coca Cola and gummy bears and you are welcomed with open arms but god forbid you unload and drive around on a gas sipping quiet gas cart ? Bloody double standardised tree hugging sob's. Simply claim that you have a hybrid gas/ electric cart, hell, make some stickers for it ! It appears to work quite nicely for the toffee nosed vegetarian twits who drive Toyota Priuses.

Chris.
OK Chris, but with honestly and some passion this time, ...... tell us how you really feel

Welcome 03Red ....... just take your time and do your homework.... As always, Some will say tomato ... and others will say, "Thats a piece of sh!t."
It sounds like you really want a electric cart ...... but if you want to quiet the Missus, see what you can get off of Craigslist
for the gasser and evaluate whether or not those two cart are worth it ... good luck
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:29 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Good Rant Dude
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:46 AM   #8
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
OK, but with honestly this time, Chris ...... tell us how you really feel
Truth be told Boris, I have a distinctly biased slant against electric carts, here's the story; Twas a balmy Saturday morning at the golf course, I was enjoying yet another poke around in the rough hunting for an innocent ProV1 that had been unmercifully hooked by a wildly swung 5 iron when my good friend and playing partner observed a plume of thick black smoke gracefully rising some three hundred feet into the air beyond the tree line and in the disturbingly general direction of our farm house. Oh what a giggle we both had with thoughts of the place on fire but we both wrote it off as golf course maintenance guys disposing of some rubbish by way of a strategically well placed bonfire. Well, after a course shattering score of 85 or so and several beers I went home and had a very pleasant nap only to be awoken by my charming wife jabbing me in the head and demanding to know why in the hell I had decided to burn garbage under the trees in the front yard. Naturally, my indignation and denial of such a crass matter was instantly to the forefront untill she hauled me out of bed and under the light of a run down flashlight proceeded to point out the smouldering pile of ash under the oak trees which I had clearly not noticed in my tipsy return from the course. Turned out that my son (god bless him) had very thoughtfully parked a traded in CC electric cart in the shade after using it to go down and water the horses. I don't know what happened to the bloody thing but I guess an electrical short of some kind had caused the damned thing to catch fire and burn itself to the ground, and I mean to the ground. Absolutely nothing recognisable. All the rubber bushings gone, seats, tyres etc completely consumed by this spontaneous pyrotechnic miracle which I reckon is second only to Moses and the burning bush saga at Mt Sinai !! All I salvaged was some forty pounds of twisted aluminium and the splined fixture for the steering wheel ffs !! Worse, the giggling lunatic who had pointed out the crematorium like smoke in the vicinty of my house (my friend and playing partner) was the guy I had just traded a nicely customised CC gasser with for the electric!!
There, I feel better now. Rant over

Chris.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:28 AM   #9
Boris
DELETED

Now THATS a rant ..... never had one to burn up . had one to explode right next to my head... I don't like 'em either.

See there 03 Red .... thats but one sparkie vs gasser tale.
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:46 AM   #10
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by invalidsession View Post

Chris.
I totally agree with you on all of the above. The campground in question turns the other cheek to all of that stuff but insists that carts be electric, have lights front and rear, and carry liability insurance, yet doesn't care how old the drivers are, what hours they are riding around, or how loud they are playing their music. Yet a gas cart "makes too much noise". Go figure. But I don't own the place so I can't make the rules.

Appreciate all of the feedback. As of right now, I have the posibility of trading for either of the 98's with good batteries or possibly selling mine and have my eyes on a 06 Precedent with 08 batteries for about what I'm asking for mine.
SaltLifeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car