lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-21-2010, 09:37 PM   #11
jiminpa
Gone Wild

Club Car

Exclamation Re: Starter/Generator Failure

Reversal of those connections will not cause that problem. Your cart is a '98, I think the diagram in the beginning of that thread is for '96 and earlier carts. your cart's engine spins the opposite direction, so the starter needs to spin the opposite direction when it tries to start the cart. You have it right or it would not start. If you read the whole thread that I had linked, it will go into some detail about that issue. Basically, reversing the connections on A1 & A2 just changes the rotation of the starter/generator when you feed it juice.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-23-2010, 06:26 PM   #12
FIXEROFCARTS
Gone Wild

Default Re: Starter/Generator Failure

I agree, That wont cause the starter to die, as the motor wont even start, it will be running the motor the other direction and try to push fuel OUT the carb.
FIXEROFCARTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:58 PM   #13
Chuck E.
Not Yet Wild

Again, thanks for all the input. Thinking about it, does the motor portion of the starter/generator stop after the engine starts and then the generator starts charging. I was thinking that the two are working against each other if the starter motor continues to draw amperage. Maybe this is the cause of my brushes and commutator self destructing. Is there any way to test this? I just don't understand how the generator and starter work together and I didn't see anything that addressed this on GENERATOR 101.

Thanks, Chuck
Chuck E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:01 PM   #14
Chuck E.
Not Yet Wild

Question Re: Starter/Generator Failure

Again, thanks for all the input. Thinking about it, does the motor portion of the starter/generator stop after the engine starts and then the generator starts charging. I was thinking that the two are working against each other if the starter motor continues to draw amperage. Maybe this is the cause of my brushes and commutator self destructing. Is there any way to test this? I just don't understand how the generator and starter work together and I didn't see anything that addressed this on GENERATOR 101.

Thanks, Chuck
Old 09-24-2010, 12:20 PM   #15
jiminpa
Gone Wild

Club Car

You don't understand. It is only one device, not two. one of the things about DC motors is that when you spin them with the output shaft attached to something (a motor or a hand crank, etc.) they produce electric. But, if you connect electric to the wires it will spin the shaft. Now, you have to spin the shaft faster to produce electric then the shaft will spin on it's own when you connect electric to it, but, it's just the nature of DC electric motors (some AC motors too). Just do a youtube search on something like "build your own generator" and you will get a better understanding.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:44 PM   #16
Chuck E.
Not Yet Wild

I just need to let everyone know that the problem seems to be repaired. New voltage regulator and another new starter. Installed both and nervously started cart in service mode with a volt meter attached. It started and voltage jumped and maintained at 15.0 volts. Drove for at least 30 minutes and starter did not self destruct. Still maintained 15.o volts.

Again thanks to all and hopefully I can help with someone's problems down the line...

Chuck E.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:09 PM   #17
jiminpa
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thumbs up Re: Starter/Generator Failure

Glad it all worked out. Keep watching the new threads, something interesting always pops up.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:56 AM   #18
luvnit
Not Yet Wild

Thank god I found your thread. I'm going through the same issue but mine only last 5mins. I'm on my 2nd starter/gen and don't want to go for a 3rd. I'm going to replace my voltage regulator tomorrow. Thanks for saving me from spending another $200.
luvnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car