lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-10-2011, 04:25 PM   #1
elrick1
Not Yet Wild

Default Oil Leak in 98 club car

I have a 1998 club car and it's leaking oil from somewhere near the cooling fins on the cylinder. It's just below where the exhaust/muffler comes off the engine. Also, the oil is a cream color, almost white/milky. I noticed this oil color over the summer and changed the oil a couple times until it looked new. The cart runs great. I don't know how to tell if I have a cracked cylinder, cracked block or bad head gasket. Are there any hoses that could be disconnected? I don't understand how the oil is turning color. Moisture must be getting in some how. I also don't think the cart would run so good if this was a major problem. I just need a place to start as I have never worked on golf carts before. I don't want to start taking things apart that I can't fix. any help would be appreciated. Thanks
elrick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-10-2011, 06:09 PM   #2
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Default Re: Oil Leak in 98 club car

So does it smoke ,
when U change oil and let it sit , is it still the same consistancy or is this crap floating on top.
Does the oil level go down ? how much.

The only thing which could be getting in your oil is gas !
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:10 PM   #3
elrick1
Not Yet Wild

yes, the oil level goes down and the oil light comes on.; It goes down to wear it barely registers on the dipstick. I have changed the oil several times and it keeps turning into this milky like crap. I can't see how water could get in and there is no coolant so thats all I can think off is gas mixing in. Where would it get in? There is a line off the fuel pump that goes into the block but I thought this would be pulling vacuum to power the pump. I just took off the metal cover on top and all the cooling fins are just filled with sludge. I initially thought maybe it was leaking at the dipstick filler tube o-ring. I took that out and it looks fine. I am now thinking it's leaking at the side cover gasket. I am guessing I will have to pull the engine and the clutch. I have never worked on golf carts before. Any thoughts on how gas is getting into the oil and how should I proceed. I would like verify whats wrong before I start just trying things. also, how do you pull the engine, specifically, how do you separate the diff/axle from the motor. thanks.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:11 PM   #4
elrick1
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by elrick1 View Post
yes, the oil level goes down and the oil light comes on.; It goes down to wear it barely registers on the dipstick. I have changed the oil several times and it keeps turning into this milky like crap. I can't see how water could get in and there is no coolant so thats all I can think off is gas mixing in. Where would it get in? There is a line off the fuel pump that goes into the block but I thought this would be pulling vacuum to power the pump. I just took off the metal cover on top and all the cooling fins are just filled with sludge. I initially thought maybe it was leaking at the dipstick filler tube o-ring. I took that out and it looks fine. I am now thinking it's leaking at the side cover gasket. I am guessing I will have to pull the engine and the clutch. I have never worked on golf carts before. Any thoughts on how gas is getting into the oil and how should I proceed. I would like verify whats wrong before I start just trying things. also, how do you pull the engine, specifically, how do you separate the diff/axle from the motor. thanks.
also, there is no smoke. valve seems good. I was going to do compression test, any one know what compression should be?
Old 03-11-2011, 04:37 PM   #5
elrick1
Not Yet Wild

can any one tell me what the compression should be?
Old 03-11-2011, 06:06 PM   #6
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

fop the FE-290 156.PSI
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car