lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-07-2011, 12:48 PM   #1
Marsharo
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default Gas to electric conversion

Okay, so I have an opportunity to get a gas Carryall Club car; bad part is my campground will not allow gas carts. This cart is for my frame up rebuild project with my kids so its ok to tear it apart. My question to you all is 1) how much of the suspension is different? besides the read and motor is there anything else different in the main rolling chasis? I am not going for speed but Torque is a must in this build.
Marsharo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-07-2011, 02:43 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: Gas to electric conversion

suspension as far as i know is the same in front but the rear i don,t know other than how the rear axle bolts up there shouldn,t be that much different....i think my concern would be the area where you would need to build the battery box.......i know some people tossed this around and came to the conclusion it just wasn,t worth it.................by the time your done you can buy a cart....but than again its all in what you want to do.............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:49 PM   #3
Marsharo
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Thanks for the reply. Well, the cart is $150.00 and they don't know if it runs. The battery box construction allows me to give a few small welding lessons too. Although like you said - is it worth it? A new rearend, a new motor, controller, F/R switch (unless they are the same), gas pedal linkage... Hmmmm.... this may be too complicated to start with. Thanks Shadow - you got my brain working lol
Old 07-07-2011, 03:50 PM   #4
crash12888
Gone Crazy

I say this not for my own interests but in general there are to many of both gas and electric carts out there cheap enough to justify undertaking a conversion from gas to electric or electric to gas.
But for a learning/training tool or spending quality time with the kids, that's another thing.
Don't forget, Club Cars are aluminum frame carts, do you Tig?
That being said and don't take this the wrong way but I'm right down the road from you so if it doesn't work out let me know and I could come get it and double your money.

If you do it post up pics of your build (and build team!)
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:00 PM   #5
Marsharo
Getting Wild
Yamaha

I do not tig, sadly. I only have arc at the house. I am sure they are out there but haven't come across any I'm willing to spend the money yet. But this entire project is for the kids to learn some skills schools don't have the money to teach anymore.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:24 PM   #6
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsharo View Post
I do not tig, sadly. I only have arc at the house. I am sure they are out there but haven't come across any I'm willing to spend the money yet. But this entire project is for the kids to learn some skills schools don't have the money to teach anymore.

if it for the kids and you have time and the money......i say go for it.....like crash its not for me but if i were thinking about time with the kids and a long term learning project i see nothing wrong with it......just go in to knowing you may never get your money back out but the time with the family.......PRICELESS.....................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:29 PM   #7
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsharo View Post
Then this is a perfect platform to learn from while spending QUALITY time with them. Sit down with them and let them do the design and build sheet.
Discuss parts needed and costs, when they can be purchased. Gives them the appreciation of real life material costs. Let them make the decisions and discuss any options you might think will work better.
Don't worry about the aluminum frame, weld up your trays and bolt them in.
Post up pics and don't hesitate to ask questions.

haha, Tom beat me to it.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:14 AM   #8
Marsharo
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Crash & Shadow, thanks for your inputs. I put a bid in on the government auction site - we'll see what happens. I also bid o na cushman 36v truck (I have no idea the model but it looks like a pickup with full cab but no doors)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car