lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-18-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
Munsoned
Not Yet Wild

Default Club Car Audio Power Question

I am a new owner of a gas powered 95 Club Car that I will be adding a large audio system to. This will be for a art car project for the burning man event in Nevada.

I am trying to run dual subs on a 600 RMS watt mono amp as well as a 4 channel receiver for the highs and mids 4x50. I plan to run a optima red top I have lying around with a 2.0 farad capacitor for the subs.

I was wondering if anyone has had experience running something similar to this and will the carts starter be enough to charge this while driving or will I need to charge the battery when not in use as well. Any idea how many hours this can run a audio set up like this and still be able to get the car started and drive-able? The cart will be in motion while the audio playing for the most part but driving very slowly so the charge may not be optimal from the starter.

I am assuming the starter/alternator on these carts is less powerful than a typical car but how much less?

Thanks for any info I am totally new to golf carts and learning a lot about car audio as well so information would be great.
Munsoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-18-2012, 12:51 PM   #2
JcXtreme72
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Club Car Audio Power Question

I've ran up to 1200 watts and 2 12" alpine type R's off a golf cart stock generator. I never had a problem. You are just fine but get a cap to help. Enjoy the tunes and have fun out there.
JcXtreme72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
Munsoned
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the feedback, that sounds promising for what I am going to do. Any idea how many hours of continuous operation. For mine I hoping to be playing the music loudly for 4+ hours while roaming around and stopping several times.

I'd still like to know more about the power system of a golf cart, will just having the key in and not having it in a forward or reverse gear allow for the battery to be charging from the motor or will it have to be in motion for it to be continuously charging the battery?

It seems to me the idle speed on the cart wouldn't generate many amps to charge the battery.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
JcXtreme72
Gone Wild
Yamaha

The engine has to be running in order for it to charge. I can't say how long you can play your music for but on one of my setups with 600 watts and 2 10" kenwood typhoons a 1 farad cap, sony deck 4 component speakers and a 12V outlet to charge my ipod (all that's in a took box with it's own car battery) it plays up to 30 hours with out needing a charge. I hooked up a set of wires I cut off a dead battery charger and I can clip that to my golf carts battery to charge it as I drive. Then if I'm going to be stopped for a long time I can just unhook the alligator clip off the battery. So I'm sure your on board cart battery should be no problem. If you are that concerned or you've tried it and it's draining a little more then you like you can always get a 15 watt solar panel for fairly cheap.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
Munsoned
Not Yet Wild

I didn't think about solar that may be a good option, once it get it all hooked up I'll do some long tests and make sure it can handle what I am looking for. Thanks again!
Old 02-19-2012, 03:57 PM   #6
JcXtreme72
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Any time thats why we are here. My pop's picked up a 15 watt solar panel from Harbor Freight about 3 years ago for around $45 and he wasn't using it in his camper in any more so I liberated it.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:30 PM   #7
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

class d amps draw alot less power than a/b amps and i wouldnt use a regulated power amp like the jl audio, because when the batterys get low the amps try and compensate and use more power
882001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:34 PM   #8
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

and if you are trying to project alot of sound to alot of people there is no beating hlcd (horn loaded compression drivers). check out exile or wetsounds
882001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audio, club car, starter, subwoofer
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car