lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-06-2016, 07:22 AM   #21
tegger
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Hidden Kill Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckynorris View Post
I really want to try this. I'm struggling to know exactly what parts I'll need to do this on my 36v ezgo.

Can you share what parts you used?
I've got an automotive 40a relay and two 1N4000 diodes. I just have to get a reed switch. I have seen a few that resemble nut/bolt combinations.
tegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-06-2016, 12:34 PM   #22
chuckynorris
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Since You mentioned hidden Magnetic kill switches, I am attaching a quick sketch for a 12v version similar to what I use on my 48v electric cart.

When You turn the Key Switch ON, only the accessories get power, that way You can listen to music or use other accessories.

The rest of the circuit will not get power until you get a Magnet momentarily in proximity of the Reed Switch.

Once the Relay turns ON, the diode D2 latches it ON until the Key Switch is turned OFF.

You can use any Reed Switch available for Door/Window alarms as long as it is the Normally Open variety.

The D1 and D2 diodes are common 1N4001 trough 1N4007 type diodes.

The 12v LED indicator is so You know when the cart is operational.

I also wrote the common Terminal Labels for the 12v Relays.
Thanks for the drawing/details.
Do you have any pictures of the install you can post?
THANKS!
chuckynorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:48 PM   #23
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Since You have a 36v cart, I did a quick diagram for You (attached).

36v coil Relay (K1):
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...g3TKX2%2f0A%3d
Diode (D1 and D2):
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...pJTHzs1ix7k%3d
Reed Switch (good sensitivity 10-15AT):
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...rP%252bXxsI%3d
I think You are better off buying a regular "window alarm" type magnetic/reed switch assembly as the "reed switch" device itself is very fragile.

If You decide to go the "reed switch" component level, I think I have some pictures of how I used a "bic pen" section to make an enclosure for the glass reed.

I think the biggest issue is that the Ezgo has some unusual wiring for the Key Switch circuit and the "limit switch" on the FNR controls the power for the Key Switch.

The guys on the Electric Ezgo forum probably have the recommended way to re-wire the key switch circuit so the relay will not power OFF when the FNR travels through Neutral.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36v_Kill_Switch.jpg (128.9 KB, 0 views)
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:09 PM   #24
chuckynorris
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks!!!
I'm looking at this:
https://smile.amazon.com/Directed-El...ds=reed+switch

if I want it mounted in view (or under the cupholder) or this:
https://smile.amazon.com/uxcell%C2%A...w+alarm+switch
If I mount behind the dash.
chuckynorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:05 PM   #25
Hypersprint
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

So, for 48v carts it looks like this relay should do the trick
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B888BZ4...I1U5QOFPL6R0QV
Hypersprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:22 PM   #26
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yes, that is the kind I use on my 48v cart, it is a little cheaper on mouser:
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...HO3CeSfQ%3D%3D
The cool thing about those relays is that the 48v coil current is perfect for an LED.

You can wire an LED directly in series with the coil/reed circuit for an ON indication.

Last edited by Sergio; 07-07-2016 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: LED info.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:38 AM   #27
tegger
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

What reed switch did you use on your installation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Since You mentioned hidden Magnetic kill switches, I am attaching a quick sketch for a 12v version similar to what I use on my 48v electric cart.

When You turn the Key Switch ON, only the accessories get power, that way You can listen to music or use other accessories.

The rest of the circuit will not get power until you get a Magnet momentarily in proximity of the Reed Switch.

Once the Relay turns ON, the diode D2 latches it ON until the Key Switch is turned OFF.

You can use any Reed Switch available for Door/Window alarms as long as it is the Normally Open variety.

The D1 and D2 diodes are common 1N4001 trough 1N4007 type diodes.

The 12v LED indicator is so You know when the cart is operational.

I also wrote the common Terminal Labels for the 12v Relays.
tegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 12:14 PM   #28
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

OK, I'm just reading this thread for the first time, and my head is spinning ... I'm guessing the whole point is that You don't want someone with an EZGO master key to steal your cart, right? These are the style of switches we install on all our carts, each one is uniquely keyed and they're cheap enough to replace if a customer loses both their keys

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ignition-Swi...VWEx96&vxp=mtr

If You're afraid of someone getting up under the dash/cowl and hotwiring the cart, throw a simple toggle in the engine compartment on the hot wire coming from the pedal microswitch - IMHO if someone is willing to get up under the dash, hotwire the cart, then trace the wiring to find the toggle on top of it, well they're going to get your cart no matter what You do, and You don't have the hassle and potential fail points of contacts, relays, and god-knows what else can be dreamed up. Just sayin.
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 01:05 PM   #29
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The reason I did the hidden switch is that I always leave the keys in the ignition around the neighborhood.

Since the regular key switch still turns on the Converter, anyone can turn the key ON for accessories, lights, etc, but no danger of accidentally being driven until you unlock it with the magnet.

I installed an LED in series with my relay coil so the LED is ON when the cart is enabled, that way even if the reed switch is on a corner of the dash, you have a good indication (my LED is next to the key switch) that you activated the cart.

It re-arms itself any time you turn the cart OFF, it has no additional switches and it may prevent an accidental ride.

I used the reed switch I linked on the previous post, but I built a holder out of a 2" piece of a plastic pen.

I soldered leads (22 ga) on each end oriented like the picture.

I then folded the wire over the soldered end so the thickness of the insulated wire and solder would allow the reed switch to have a little "cushion" floating inside the pen.

I slid the plastic tube over the reed assembly, taped the whole thing and just zip tied on a spot behind my dash.

I think the reed switches for alarms that are readily available should work fine too, specially if You use those rare earth magnets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reed_switch_assembly.jpg (92.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-28-2017, 02:12 PM   #30
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Aaaah, I get it now ... Do You carry your cell phone with You most of the time? If so, a simple Bluetooth Relay would also work, they need a code to pair (so You can have the wife, kids, etc authorized but noone else can hack in) and it would automatically disable the circuit anytime You were more than BT range away (about 15ft) ... Walk up to the cart and it would automatically "arm" allowing You to run it, walk away and it would "disarm" the ignition as soon as You were out of that 15ft or so range. Just a thought, that's likely How I would go if I were in your situation. $15 on Ebay, give or take for the BT relay in 12vdc.
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO