lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-26-2021, 11:37 AM   #11
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: I guess it’s new rings ?

My general rule of thumb, if the valve seals are worn enough to need replacement, let alone worn enough to be falling apart, I’m inspecting and rebuilding the rest of the engine too. Even if the seals do temporarily cure the issue, the rest of the motor is just as old/worn and not far behind it.

I don’t know where you live, in MI after about November most people park their carts until April. If that’s the case I’m sure you could put it off for a while. Rebuild in the off season.

But, the only way to know for sure is to tear it down and start measure things. Any kind of smoke is not normal.

This is, of course, assuming it is oil burning. The smell of burning oil is completely unmistakeable from smoke from running pig rich. I’d confirm what kind of smoke you have before doing anything, which as far as I can tell has not been confirmed.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-26-2021, 12:55 PM   #12
Tommybh
Getting Wild

It’s almost the color and density of someone vaping smells like fuel
Tommybh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 01:08 PM   #13
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

If it’s fuel then I would suspect the eBay oem carb is not actually oem. You can’t fake the mikuni or TK being cast into the body of the carb.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 01:56 PM   #14
Tommybh
Getting Wild

I did check that I forgot to mention and it has a tk where you said it would be
Old 05-26-2021, 10:36 PM   #15
Tommybh
Getting Wild

Attachment 220346Okay decided to take new carb apart manual in the stickies shows this diagram for adjusting the float and here is what I found on both the old oem carb and the new oem carb.. they both fell all the way when placed upside down per instructions in manual the carb in the picture in manual isn’t exact like mine but stickies says for 2004-2008 mci engines .. so keep in mind I adjusted the old carb( it was exactly like new carb) to see if I could adjust the plastic tang and it was successful should I do this to new carb or is it fine ?
Old 05-27-2021, 03:07 AM   #16
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

At this moment in time i would say yes, just to help eliminate the carb as the problem.

Without checking your other threads, did you redo the compression test?
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 05:28 AM   #17
Tommybh
Getting Wild

Yes I did compression test leaving other spark plug in wet and dry here’s what I got these readings one barely moved up from 180 the other 150 to 180
Old 05-27-2021, 06:01 AM   #18
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

We got there eventually. If you are confident with your readings now, then i suggest you strip down the engine and inspect everything against the specifications in the book and suspect the rings on the low reading cylinder. Adding the oil temporarily seals the rings and raises the compression. It has also proved that your valves are sealing fairly well because you would have seen no rise in compression if they were leaking.

EDIT
Just to add that These engines normally run fairly smoke free with compression around 150/160, so maybe its just the oil scraper rings faulty on that cylinder, but i would hone both cylinders and fit new rings on both pistons along with checking all other specs for crank, rods, oil pump etc.
Old 05-27-2021, 07:16 AM   #19
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
We got there eventually. If you are confident with your readings now, then i suggest you strip down the engine and inspect everything against the specifications in the book and suspect the rings on the low reading cylinder. Adding the oil temporarily seals the rings and raises the compression. It has also proved that your valves are sealing fairly well because you would have seen no rise in compression if they were leaking.

EDIT
Just to add that These engines normally run fairly smoke free with compression around 150/160, so maybe its just the oil scraper rings faulty on that cylinder, but i would hone both cylinders and fit new rings on both pistons along with checking all other specs for crank, rods, oil pump etc.
Not to hijack this but which hone do you use Cartmaster ? on these engines
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 07:25 AM   #20
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Trig, Its a three stone hone that pushes the long thin stones out on sprung arms and fit in a hand drill.

Like this.

https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/auto...CABEgKV6_D_BwE

Spare stones are easy to get so that you can keep it running true.

I am not a fan of the ball style de glazers to be honest. You can find different grade stones for light or hard honing too.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO