lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-22-2009, 12:32 AM   #1
Xtreme Cartz
The Fabricator

Default High speed gear install trouble

I just finished installing a set of high speed gears in my G2 rear end. I noticed when I put the diff case back together and spun the input shaft, it was hard to turn and the F/R gears wouldn't change. As far as I know I put everything back the same way I took it out, with the exception of the governer weights. I unclipped the weights and got rid of them because it looked to me like they could hit the smaller of the two HS gears. I also got rid of the bunch of washers that work with the governor. It doesn't seem like they have anything to do with my problem. I ended up splitting the diff case open again, rechecked everything and tapped on the f/r shaft which got it working. I put it all back together and it is still hard to spin the input shaft. I thought maybe this is normal so I took the cart out for a drive and it rode good at 33 mph. I heard no weird noises either. Came back and felt the differential and its burning hot at the top near the input shaft, cold at the bottom.

Did I do an oopsie somewhere?
Xtreme Cartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-22-2009, 07:52 AM   #2
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Default Re: High speed gear install trouble

Something is in a bind somewhere and didn't go back together right. I installed a set in an ezgo and completely removed everything but the shaft for the governor with no problems. Here's the breakdown of the trans./axle on a G2.

TRANSMISSION.jpg

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:36 AM   #3
Xtreme Cartz
The Fabricator

Thanks for the diagram spriddle.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:24 PM   #4
Xtreme Cartz
The Fabricator

Is number 28 or 25 the input shaft? I dont have a clue why its binding. Should I run it and see what happens?
Old 09-23-2009, 06:51 AM   #5
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

25 looks like the input shaft. I've never broken down this model rearend but I'll try and help as much as possible. If I have to, I'll break one down this weekend if I have a chance. But I wouldn't run it until you correct the problem. Something is in a bind somewhere. Your going to have to break it back down to see what it. I would look for possible score marks or shiny areas. Click on the Yamaha link in my sig and you can look it up on the parts manual and it will give you a description of what each part is. If it were me, I would probably tear it back down and put everything back in it I took out and test it. If it seemed ok, then I would reinstall the high speed gears only and leave all the governor parts in it.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:51 PM   #6
Xtreme Cartz
The Fabricator

Thanks again spriddle for the info! I have an extra rear end too that I will dismantle to look at if needed. I should start pulling out the rear end and checking for where its binding. It might have something to do with those extra washers and parts I had on the bench after it was put back together.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:49 PM   #7
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme Cartz View Post
Thanks again spriddle for the info! I have an extra rear end too that I will dismantle to look at if needed. I should start pulling out the rear end and checking for where its binding. It might have something to do with those extra washers and parts I had on the bench after it was put back together.
I have a bucket full of those myself. I always got extras!!

Old 09-27-2009, 09:39 PM   #8
Xtreme Cartz
The Fabricator

Yay spriddle I got it back good as new. I pulled the rear end and found a washer on the bottom of the diff housing. The washer goes to a gear that always falls off the shaft when you split the case open. This was my first time opening up a yamaha rear end so I didn't know to look for the washer. Without the washer it looks like the gear was grinding into the side of the diff housing. Thats why it was heating up and hard to turn but its good to go now.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:36 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

This is good to know
Even if it is only useful on a yamaha
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha