lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-11-2017, 03:53 AM   #1
bigbird
Not Yet Wild

Default battery gauge

Hi Guys any help would be appreciated a have a 2011 Ezgo RXV and the power gauge shows full charge for around 6 holes. Then all of a sudden drops to zero with the alarm light showing. There is no power loss and the cart will easily finish the round. The ignition switch does seem a little loose if you turn off the buggy re-insert the key if shoots up to around just under full then drops back to empty.
Could it be the gauge or switch, anybody else come across this please?
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-11-2017, 05:49 AM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: battery gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
Hi Guys any help would be appreciated a have a 2011 Ezgo RXV and the power gauge shows full charge for around 6 holes. Then all of a sudden drops to zero with the alarm light showing. There is no power loss and the cart will easily finish the round. The ignition switch does seem a little loose if you turn off the buggy re-insert the key if shoots up to around just under full then drops back to empty.
Could it be the gauge or switch, anybody else come across this please?
The guage is not where the readings are sourced, it is just a display unit for the controller. The controller sends a 0-5V signal which causes the SOC meter to read fom empty to full. So there could be a battery capacity issue, or it might be that the memory in your controller may have corrupted. Do not try putting voltmeter probes in the SOC meter socket because many people have destroyed their controllers and all of the 5V sensors and encoders by doing that. There are 48V and 5V pins side by side and it only takes a quick slip of a probe to fry everything 5V.

Where are you located?
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:44 AM   #3
bigbird
Not Yet Wild

Hi Bob

It is actually my brothers buggy as we bought both together we are based in the united kingdom is it a job for an auto electrician or should the mechanic be able to do it at service. Any help advice would be gratefully received
thanks
Phil
Old 01-11-2017, 06:47 AM   #4
bigbird
Not Yet Wild

Bob

Will this lead to a brakedown or damage if not fixed?
Old 01-11-2017, 07:05 AM   #5
bigbird
Not Yet Wild

Bob

Will it require replacement parts and if so do you know which?
thanks
Phil
Old 01-11-2017, 08:56 AM   #6
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Bob

Will it require replacement parts and if so do you know which?
thanks
Phil
I was hoping you were closer. I have a spare SOC meter I would have had you try. It would cost more than it's worth to try sending it there.

I would suspect the battery capacity more than the guage itself. Connect a voltmeter to the battery pack positive and negative and watch the voltage as you drive. That would be the best way to see it it's a battery issue or the controller misinterpreting the battery state of charge.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:34 AM   #7
bigbird
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Bob
What is an soc meter can you buy them and are they expensive? I have dealt with Buggy king in the past and we have a very good independent supplier in the uk but I need to know what to buy
thanks
Old 01-11-2017, 12:38 PM   #8
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thanks Bob
What is an soc meter can you buy them and are they expensive? I have dealt with Buggy king in the past and we have a very good independent supplier in the uk but I need to know what to buy
thanks
The factory SOC (State Of Charge) guage is an analog looking display (like a fuel guage) to give an idea of how much battery charge you have remaining. It is a specific part, designed to work with the RXV AC drive controllers. It works with both the earlier RXV (Danaher) and the later (Curtis) controllers. The split point was in the 3rd week of febuary in 2012, where all RXVs after that point were built with Curtis controllers. It is far from accurate, even if/when working properly. I suggest if you are serious about knowing true SOC, you buy a waterproof 48 volt capable digital voltmeter and install that where you can see it. You would wire that to your battery bank. Consult a voltage chart for your brand and model of battery to determine your true SOC. Here is where you can buy a digital voltmeter for a decent price. Pick the color and mount style that suits you.

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-meters.html

This would be better than the factory SOC guage by far. If you remove the factory SOC guage, you could cut the short wiring pigtail from it, CUT OFF all but the red and black wires, and connect the red and black wires of the digital voltmeter to those red and black wires. Make watertight connections to prevent corrosion. It's not as good as a direct battery connection, but is easier and will let it be actuated by the solenoid connection (key switched power). The voltage drop is so minimal on that connection that as long as the key is on and you are not moving, it will not be noticed. You can mount the digital voltmeter in a plastic or metal plate and glue, screw, or rivet it over the factory SOC guage hole. Carts Unlimited offers the digital voltmeter mounted in a 1-hole trim plate for $24.95 that might work, scroll down the page I linked to find it.

Bob
Old 06-19-2017, 01:31 AM   #9
bigbird
Not Yet Wild

if this helps anybody with same problem. I changed state of charge guage no change. at service a battery cable was found to have corrosion on it new cable fitted problem solved
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO