lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-08-2017, 05:55 PM   #1
jtccustoms
Not Yet Wild

Default DCS Cart Won't Move

Hey guys,

I've been having some seriously frustrating issues with my 36V EZ go electric cart. It's about a 2000 model DCS cart. The cart will not move forwards or reverse as it should. It was running really sluggish about 8 months ago like it needed a charge and then just quit. I've gone through the full basic troubleshooting on the site here and everything checks out. The quick 7 step testing outlined in the DCS troubleshooting and everything passes as it should. The solenoid audibly clicks when the accelerator is pressed. The main symptom is when the accelerator is pressed the cart will make noise like it is going to start up and will buck a couple of times and make a bump, bump, bump in the motor area. The cables also heat up pretty good after 5-10 seconds like the motor is grounding out.

I assumed the issue was with the batteries after the full troubleshooting regiment (which included every possible test I could find or think of using a multimeter). The batteries would continually read less than 37V after about 5 seconds of throttle and then remain under 36V up to an hour later. So, today I replaced all of the batteries with brand new ones(also upgraded cables to 4g). Voltage is above 37.8V and the cart still just wants to buck and not go..

Where do I go from here and how expensive is this going to be? I've been testing and messing with this thing since the fall. I'm ready to push it in a lake! Can anyone help me out?
jtccustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-08-2017, 06:36 PM   #2
bmr4106
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: DCS Cart Won't Move

Have you removed the four cables connected to the motor and measured the resistance A1 to A2, F1(S1) to F2(S2)? Have you tested the motor by connecting A1 to F1, A2 to F2 then applied no more than 18 volts + to A2 and - to A1. Of course, with the rear end on jack stands.
From your description, sounds a lot like a motor problem.
BTW, neither A lead or F lead should be shorted to the case and resistance readings between associated terminals (leads) should be almost 0.
bmr4106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:09 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Welcome to BGW
I agree with bmr4106. And the good news is an upgrade motor cost less than an OEM motor. For about $459 you can get an Admiral B2.
Can you post the Manufacture code and the serial # of this cart for ID >?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:20 PM   #4
jtccustoms
Not Yet Wild

I haven't done a motor test yet. I couldn't find any information on how to really test it out when scanning here and I was focused on it being the controller or other wiring. I had the ignition interlock go out on it a few months before this issue.

I pulled out several of the new batteries real quick to access the motor. Then I removed the 4 cables as suggested. It was just about dark outside, but I tried a resistance check between the terminals. I got no resistance between any combination of the 4 terminals. I'll do the 18v motor test in the am pending I can find out which is A1 and what's F1 to hook it up correctly (the motor is super dirty and it was almost dark so they could be labeled).

I'll post specifics on the cart tomorrow morning once I have daylight.

I'm also on a very poor cellular network out in the country trying to research everything on a phone. It's a bit more difficult to troubleshoot than I'd like to admit here.
Old 06-10-2017, 04:33 PM   #5
jtccustoms
Not Yet Wild

Ok. I did a motor test as described.

Resistance Results:

A1 to A2: 1.2 ohms
S1 to s2: 2.6 ohms

It took 30 seconds to get the meter to settle in both cases to a stationary number. I was able to repeat the results 3x though.

I connected the 4awg cables from A2 to S2 and from A1 to S1 on the motor. Then, I applied 12V (50amp) charger to the motor with + on A2 and - on A1. The motor did absolutely nothing. The cables didn't spark or anything when jiggled. Are these the results I should have been expecting/experiencing for bad motor?

I did the unwanted continuity test I found in the troubleshooting and it passed. There was no continuity between the frame(motor or cart) and any terminal. Continuity exists only between A1 to A2 and then also between S1 to S2, but not between A to S either way.
Cart info:

Serial: 1044167
Man code: JL497

Motor info:

Part#: 73124601
Part #:AY4-4001
Voltage:36V
Rating: AU2500 Fleet Speed

Further troubleshooting help?
Old 06-19-2017, 11:32 AM   #6
jtccustoms
Not Yet Wild

This morning I put in a new Admiral B2 motor as suggested here. Wired the cart back up and cut it on. As soon as I hit the gas pedal, that familiar shaking, lunging, bucking happened and the cart went nowhere.

I held the pedal down for 20 seconds and then felt each one of the wires. The M- coming straight out of the controller is getting hot after 20 seconds of full throttle bucking without movement. The cable is getting so hot the plastic box for the controller is shiny right around that terminal like the plastic has gotten hot.

I also flipped the direction switch to reverse to test it out being thorough and the reverse buzzer did not buzz.

So far,

I've replaced:

Batteries
Motor

Things left:
Controller
Solenoid

Any more suggestions?
Old 06-19-2017, 07:20 PM   #7
bmr4106
Not Yet Wild

JT, the next most logical suspect is the rear differential or the rear axles coming out of the differential. There's really not much back there: motor, cables, differential and axles.
Try jacking the rear end up and try rotating each wheel individually.
I know a DCS can be frustrating, I am also fighting a "no go" situation. I 've replaced the motor, battery cables, batts and had the stock controller repaired twice. I just got an Alltrax controller up grade kit from Scotty B at cartsunlimited.
The beat goes on!
bmr4106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:39 PM   #8
jtccustoms
Not Yet Wild

I had the back end jacked up when I replaced the motor. I was able to spin each wheel freely and the opposite wheel spins the opposite direction very easily. I guess I'll check differential out as mentioned because it makes sense that some thing seems like it's binding.

I'm at the point where I'd love to be sure of what the problem is so o can just get on with it and fix it. If I need a controller I'd like to be able to order one, but I'm not looking to throw another $500 at it to see if it sticks.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:59 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

NEVER hold the pedal down for 20 seconds on a new motor that can't go!? Any motor is a stall situation should be immediately released from it's load. You can ruin a motor in about 5-10 seconds if the armature cannot turn and power is applied

Be careful, sometimes you need more tech and less what the heck.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gener...or-owners.html
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO