lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-21-2017, 01:38 PM   #11
Mrjonman
Gone Wild

Default Re: Random.....why aren't RXV's more popular?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
I'm one of the RXV fans. Not only because of my programming capabilities, but AC Drive is great! I can hop up the peformance and top speed, but I do urge caution. Not just with the RXV, but for any golf cart. Cars have safety equipment and better engineering to handle higher speeds and performance than golf carts. Before considering taking a golf cart to higher speeds, please take into account that along with better performance, you must remember you will also need better brakes and tighter steering than the average golf cart has.

A totally stock 2012+ Curtis controller RXV can be programmed to drive at up to about 30 MPH with properly inflated stock tires/wheels, but I don't recommend greater than 25 MPH without adding aftermarket brakes and making sure all of the front end bushings/bearings/steering components are tight and up to the task. "Death Wobbles" are not fun at speed.

Bob
Great information, appreciate it.

I'm simply wanting 20-25mph, but like I said, it'll be lifted as well. I wish I had the same programming abilities or knew a good place around here to take it.

Is $4k a good price?
Mrjonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-22-2017, 07:06 AM   #12
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjonman View Post
Great information, appreciate it.

I'm simply wanting 20-25mph, but like I said, it'll be lifted as well. I wish I had the same programming abilities or knew a good place around here to take it.

Is $4k a good price?
I paid about $4K for my first RXV, the 2012 with a Curtis controller. Now I know better, and can get one for about half that fresh off lease and a year or two newer. Lifting an RXV is ok, but do not go oversize on the tires. As with all vehicles, increasing tire size alters the effective rear end gear ratio, which puts more load on the motor. Too many people go overboard and end up causing themselves more problems, no matter which brand or model cart they do it to. Like any vehicle, golf carts are engineered for a specific purpose. When you make changes to how it is engineered, expect it to react. Nothing cannot be solved by throwing lots of money at it. But if you learn first and make informed choices, then you can minimize mistakes and get more bang for your buck. I like the RXV because if you want to customize performance, it's mostly a matter of programming, and maybe putting on some thicker battery cables to allow for a bit more efficiency by reducing I*R losses. The stock controller is plenty powerful for most, as long as you don't go overboard on tire size. 20" tires make little difference for torque, and a bit more speed. The RXV will handle a 22" tire, but braking will begin to suffer a bit. Larger than that, not recommended unless you add a disc brake kit to it.

Dollar for dollar, the RXV has a lot of bang for the buck. It's nearly twice as efficient as a Series DC cart, so you can travel further on a charge. But it's not for everyone. It's a drive-by-wire cart that has way too much complexity for most to understand. When you understand how it works, it's not so bad. But when things go wrong, it's a bear to troubleshoot without a diagnostic handset or a programming station. I have written a lot of posts on the RXV, and there is a Programming Curtis Controller thread where we've cracked the programming interface and software enough to allow anyone tech savvy enough to take a crack at building their own programmer for Curtis controllers. Most of the good stuff is towards the end of the thread.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ontroller.html

If you just want something simple and don't care as much about range, just get yourself a TXT48 and hit up ScottyB for a controller combo kit. He has the best combo kits at the best prices around. You can't go wrong there. All it takes is money and a bit of elbow grease to put the goodies on. ScottyB will even program the controller for your cart so once you get the combo installed on there, it's ready to go.

I hope this helps you to decide which way to go. Like everyone else here, I want you to know as much as possible so you can make a well informed decision.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:47 AM   #13
Mrjonman
Gone Wild

Really appreciate you taking the time to type all that out, very informative.

I wish I knew how to find the carts fresh off a lease, not that easy down here in Houston.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:51 AM   #14
dougs_huntingcart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Really appreciate you taking the time to type all that out, very informative.

I wish I knew how to find the carts fresh off a lease, not that easy down here in Houston.
Call the golf course that has the cart you like and ask to speak with the person in charge of golf cart leasing.
Mission golf carts here in San Antonio sold me my RXV that was fresh off the lease. We're not that far away from Htown... but if be surprised if you couldn't find one locally. Good luck!
dougs_huntingcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 09:31 AM   #15
dougs_huntingcart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Just as it says....saw one listed for sale near me (2012 white rxv $4k) and just wondered how come I don't see more of them?
Just checked out your local craigslist.... I bet most of the courses in Houston Club Car. There are tons of those listed used/ custom on there! Here, in San Antonio, most of the listings are EZGO and Yamaha. Just an observation.
dougs_huntingcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 12:27 PM   #16
Mrjonman
Gone Wild

Oh I know where to get a customized one that is priced appropriately. I'm looking for a deal and something I can build/tinker on.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:33 PM   #17
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I would think that there would be several places in Texas to get carts just off lease. You got a lot of courses and one big state.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO