lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-25-2017, 09:49 AM   #1
mobilemike73
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Determining what model cart I have been given

Hello! I'm looking forward to interacting with you guys, I've read through many posts in the last 24 hours and wanted to start asking some questions. This is my first cart, I will be using it to shuttle around my farm (40 acres) and would like to build it up a bit eventually but for now I have some basic issues I'd like to get advice on. Firstly, I need to figure out what kind of cart this is!

I was given an electric E-Z-GO cart by my father in law. I estimate it's at least 20, maybe 30 years old, has been sitting in the south Texas desert for at least 10 years unused. It's a 3-wheeler, and looking at the pics you guys have posted I suspect it might be a Marathon. It has a cloth/vinyl roof but its old and beat up and doesn't look anything like the nice cars you guys have. The only identifying item on it is a serial number plate on the right side of the center riser. It has the serial number and to the right T3T520. I've googled this number and no matches -- can anyone offer some insight? The good news is I've installed 3 x 12V car batteries just for the sake of testing and the cart works! I drove it about a half a mile and then put the batteries back where they came from and recharged them. I don't want to do anything yet until I find out what I'm in for :)

Thanks!
Mike
mobilemike73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-25-2017, 10:10 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Determining what model cart I have been given

If the top is flat and doesn't have a turned down edge with hand-holds, it is likely to be a Marathon. Being a three-wheeler is is likely to be a X-440.

You can try plugging the serial number into this website: https://shop.ezgo.com/customer-servi...ialNumber.html

Some pictures of what is under the seat would help identify it.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:58 AM   #3
mobilemike73
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I'm a new member so I can't link any pics for another 7 days. I ran the serial number through the warranty link you provided and it came back as a 1993 Marathon 4-wheeler, but it's 3 wheels. I tried all combinations of the numbers on the tag. The only part that worked was the first 6 numeric digits.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:41 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Give EZGO a call at the number listed on the serial number lookup site. They might be able to narrow down the model and year.

Fortunately, EZGO didn't try to reinvent the wheel every model year like the auto companies did, so just nailing down the body type (Marathon 3-wheel) and drive type (Resistor or controller) is about all that is needed to maintain it.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:00 PM   #5
mobilemike73
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Here's a look under the seat finally and one pic of coils under the rear driver side. Does this narrow down what I might have? So many questions but need to know what I have to get started. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2017, 07:39 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Okay, you've got a Marathon 3-Wheeler (X-440) resistor drive with the motor perpendicular to the rear axle. EZGO started putting the motor above and parallel to the rear axle about 1984, so it was built before they changed.

Attached are a parts manual and a service manual that ought to cover it fairly well.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf x-440 & x-444 Golf_Elec_80-82-1.pdf (5.61 MB, 0 views)
File Type: pdf X-440 &X444 Service_Golf_Elec_80-81.pdf (4.45 MB, 0 views)
Old 08-23-2017, 11:57 AM   #7
mobilemike73
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Okay, you've got a Marathon 3-Wheeler (X-440) resistor drive with the motor perpendicular to the rear axle. EZGO started putting the motor above and parallel to the rear axle about 1984, so it was built before they changed.

Attached are a parts manual and a service manual that ought to cover it fairly well.

Much appreciated Johnnie! Thank you so much. I'm going to start researching but I read something yesterday that a 3 wheeler is not as desireable due to a lack of parts. Should I not invest in this cart? I'm not going fancy with it but want to use on my farm in place of an expensive gator type vehicle. Was going to buy better tires and try to weld a bed onto it to carry stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2017, 12:04 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The 3 wheeler is are not much different than the 4 wheeler. They use the same drive system parts and the same rear axle assembly, the same body...etc. They are more unstable which may be a consideration for you.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO