lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-13-2017, 11:14 AM   #1
cody24
Not Yet Wild

Default 2 issues with ez go cart

1. my ez go stopped charging. all batteries are less than 6 month, tried with a different charger I know works and still nothing. All connections are secure and clean as well as fuses.

2. when checking wiring, I took a few wires off the terminal to clean and when I put on back on it sparked. No cart will not move forward or reverse. cart clicks on, but then nothing. also, reverse alarm stopped coming on.

please help
cody24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-13-2017, 11:47 AM   #2
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2 issues with ez go cart

Cody, I'll throw out a couple things while we're waiting for the experts.

First of all, anytime you ask for help here, give year, voltage, and which drive system your ezgo is. Ex: 2001 ezgo 36v series. The link below is a guide to tell which type cart you have. It's from the stickys at the top of this forum. There are other helpful links there, such as troubleshooting guides.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...en-system.html

In the meantime, it's always good to post total pack voltage. Give the reading to the second decimal. Maybe not in this particular instance, but individual battery readings are helpful too. And, sometimes load test is necessary.

I'm not very experienced, but a couple of guesses for you to start reading about or looking into:
The reed switch is a safety device that won't allow your cart to move if the charger cord is plugged in. These are notorious for failing and a lot of guys have it bypassed. Search the forum and you'll find plenty of posts about how to check it.

Not sure how big of an arc you were talking about, but it's pretty normal to have a small one when you're hooking the last battery back up. There's ways to avoid that, and I do think I've read posts where that's taken out a reed switch before, but usually a small spark is not an issue. .

Check if you have a fuse on your main +, and if it's still good.

It doesn't really sound like your problem, but the chargers won't come on if pack voltage is too low. Don't quote me, but I think it's around 28v.

One more thing when providing info about your cart. Be sure to mention if it's stock, or not.

Good luck and post as you progress with looking into your issue.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:49 AM   #3
ARKSoft84
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If it's not charging, and you have tried two chargers that are known to work.

You most likely ran the batteries down to low. Your charger will not kick on once the batteries reach a certain level. This is not good, you have most likely caused permanent damage to the batteries. What you will need to do now, check the water level in each battery, then use a automotive type charger and charge up each individual battery.

If your batteries are not ran down to low, then I suggest reading this thread: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...nt-charge.html
ARKSoft84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:38 PM   #4
cody24
Not Yet Wild

thanks for the reply, I got the cart to run now, (stupid mistake on my part), so back to the charging. I understand what you are saying about the batteries being possibly ran down but it was over half full when i plugged it up. I checked all the volts and they are all 12V. would you suggest still using an auto charger to see if this helps? cart is a 48V
Old 08-13-2017, 12:42 PM   #5
cody24
Not Yet Wild

thanks for the info, It is a 2013 ez go, series, its not stock and has many upgraded features such as custom wheels and rims, 6 inch lift, custom paint, upgraded motor etc. if all batteries are reading 12V do you think charging manually may still do the trick?
Old 08-13-2017, 12:53 PM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

So 4 12 volt batteries? Check for pack voltage at the charger receptical and make sure your polarity is correct
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:59 PM   #7
cody24
Not Yet Wild

it is reading 48 v as well.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:11 PM   #8
cody24
Not Yet Wild

I would like to think its a blown fuse but they look fine as well. how do you change out the rod soks?
Old 08-13-2017, 01:29 PM   #9
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

If you're at 48v pack voltage, that's probably not your problem, but be in the habit of giving voltage like this: 48.xx. The actual number to the second decimal matters. to that point, a 48v pack is ~45% if it's actually at 48.0v it's fully charged at 50.9.

Again, low voltage doesn't appear to be your current issue, but the complete number matters when it comes to other issues.

The link below may help you.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...nt-charge.html
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:05 PM   #10
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Did you check the polarity of the socket ?
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO