lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-22-2017, 07:30 PM   #1
Mark59
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1979 marathon sparking/arching

Haven't used cart much last year +, after all new batteries noticed in forward you'd have to feather/play with gas pedal to get it going good. Thought I heard sparking/arching & further investigation found a situation on the board between the batteries(think its called the speed board). When you push the gas pedal or release it I can see the sweeping arm movement along the 5 contacts on this board. The first 3 or 4 contacts on this board look to be getting too hot. I am capable of installing a new board but my concern is that I really didn't solve the real problem and thus the new board will just do the same. Cart runs fine in reverse, problem just in forward. What should I be checking out or is it possible I just need a new board? Cart obviously is ancient so upgrading the whole system to solid state not a option. Plus $ to do that isn't a option for us either. I hope someone can provide me with some help. Thanks for your time!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0806171152a.jpg (233.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 0806171152.jpg (237.6 KB, 0 views)
Mark59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-22-2017, 07:56 PM   #2
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1979 marathon sparking/arching

Good news is you don't need a new board. YOu do need to look at the resistors and make sure those contacts are clean and tight.

To save the board, just pull the board up, not need to disconnect any of the wires, and with a file, file the contacts smooth.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:00 PM   #3
Mark59
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

ok I will check that out this weekend. Thank you sir!
Old 08-22-2017, 08:22 PM   #4
coosa
Gone Wild

You might check the wiper as well when you file the contacts. I ran one of these for years, and it's essential to always have a good connection between the wiper and the contacts. If it's arcing, the end of the wiper could be damaged. Sometimes you can file everything and keep running fine, but sometimes it's best to just replace the wiper.

If you are gonna run a resistor cart, you might as well become familiar with the process of keeping the board and wiper in sync. It's not hard to do; just takes a little time and you have to keep an eye on it. Good luck with it!
coosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:16 PM   #5
Mark59
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you for your advice. Got busy getting deer stands ready so I haven't found time yet but I will do as you recommend. Thanks again!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO