lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-26-2017, 02:37 PM   #1
cv2065
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Front end Alignment EZGO TXT

Hey guys. Following the videos and self help on adjusting the front end alignment, and something isn't correct. Rear is measuring 39 1/4" and front is measuring 38". Both measures from same midpoints, Tire to tire. If I get 1/4" from the rear on the front, I only have one point of adjustment on the front tie rod, and the front drivers side tire looks way too far out. Something is not right. Am I not adjusting correctly?
cv2065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-26-2017, 04:12 PM   #2
JaxPilot
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Front end Alignment EZGO TXT

Let me start by saying that my experience is with a 99 TXT with frame mounted steering. I am able to adjust either of the two tie-rods to move either tire. I started alignment by making sure the tie rods were equally adjusted, i.e., same number of threads showing on each end of each tie rod. Then, you have to make sure that the leaf springs are positioned so that the axle is square to the frame. This is a biggie. There is a procedure listed in the repair manual linked in the stickies, but basically you must ensure that the measurements from the center bolt on the left frame end of the spring to the center bolt of the right axle end are perfectly matched to the opposite one - right frame to left axle. It took me several tries to get it right, and I had to do the procedure multiple times for stupid reasons, but that's another story. Remember the simple act of torquing bolts will move the springs, so you need to constantly measure as you tighten, or have a helper keep them in place.

Once your axle is square to the frame, attach the tie-rod ends to the spindle arms and the steering arm. I seem to recall reading, but can't now find where, that the adjustment procedure calls for turning the steering wheel all the way to the drivers side, making sure that the right spindle arm just barely, or very nearly, touches the axle bracket where it is attached. Adjust the driver side tie-rod so that happens. I am presuming you know about left/right threading and the jam nuts, so I'll skip all that.

Turn the wheel back to center, and adjust the passenger tie-rod to get alignment. A couple of things I discovered. One, the tie-rod length measurements and tire center to center distance listed in the manual were not even close to my actual measurements. Mainly, I believe, because of the lift kit axle and bigger wheels/tires I have on the cart. Once I quit trying to hit the numbers in the manual, and just made the adjustments front to back within 1/4" with my setup, the alignment came quickly.

Hope this helps!
JaxPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 04:28 PM   #3
cv2065
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Front end Alignment EZGO TXT

Thanks for that Jax! I think I know what I'm doing wrong. I thought when the videos said 'rear' tire, it meant the actual rear tires, and not the rear of the front tire. I was scratching my head thinking how are these every going to line up. Now I'm locked on and will measure again. Thanks again for the detailed explanation!
cv2065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO