lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-29-2017, 09:10 AM   #1
pryanorion
Not Yet Wild

Default Charging amps

What amps should my charger be charging at When I plug my charger in.
Cart was at about 75% charge. But when I plugged the charger in its only shows about 2 amps on the charger. It charged the batteries up to 38.2 volts but no higher. It took over a day to get that high. All the batteries load tested ok. So I am thinking I have a charger problem. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
pryanorion is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-29-2017, 09:39 AM   #2
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Charging amps

Typical 36v automatic charger will start out at 15a or more every time it gets used, even directly after a finished charge session. Your charger needs repair.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:47 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The generally accepted rule of thumb is the bulk or initial rate of charge should be close to 10% of the battery's amperage capacity. So 20 amps for the typical 200 AH 6v battery.
We typically see 20a for 36v Golf Cart chargers and 18a for 48v GC chargers.
Many low amp chargers are offered for cheap on eBay. AVOID THESE The money you save on these chargers will cost you plenty in the loss of battery useful life.

Without the proper Bulk Rate charge the heavy elements in the battery water solution are not jolted into action. These elements stay at the bottom of the cells where the soon become fixed and unavailable.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:52 AM   #4
pryanorion
Not Yet Wild

Could it be something I could diagnose and fix, Or is just time to buy a new charger? It looks like its the original ezgo charger from 1999
Old 08-30-2017, 07:13 AM   #5
mkswanner
Not Yet Wild

Best test is to try it on another cart first

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
mkswanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:29 AM   #6
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

invest in the health of your batteries!!!...save yourself $$$ and get a DPI charger and relax!...i did!... it is a fantastic charge-even with built in float charger for those times when your cart sits and the DPI will sense the charge level and top off your batteries when needed....
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:36 AM   #7
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
The generally accepted rule of thumb is the bulk or initial rate of charge should be close to 10% of the battery's amperage capacity. So 20 amps for the typical 200 AH 6v battery.
We typically see 20a for 36v Golf Cart chargers and 18a for 48v GC chargers.
Many low amp chargers are offered for cheap on eBay. AVOID THESE The money you save on these chargers will cost you plenty in the loss of battery useful life.

Without the proper Bulk Rate charge the heavy elements in the battery water solution are not jolted into action. These elements stay at the bottom of the cells where the soon become fixed and unavailable.
^^^I had someone come into the shop with one of these. Found it on line for $59. Had the standard 36 volt EZGO plug, but was only capable of something like 3.5 amps. "Charger" case wasn't much bigger than the "D" plug on the end of the DC cable. They couldn't understand why their new charger didn't bring the batteries up in a couple hours like the old one did.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:58 AM   #8
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Most of the time when the charger only shows 2 amps during the initial charge, it's because of a bad capacitor in the charger. They are fairly cheap. Find the MuF number on the side of it and find a replacement. Usually around 20 MuF for most of them.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:51 PM   #9
pryanorion
Not Yet Wild

Ok, thanks for the help.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO