lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-23-2017, 01:30 PM   #1
LA Rebel
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Quick Question

What would happen if you reversed the F1 & F2 wires?

My 36v txt motor is getting hot! Really fast!

Let me explain where I am. I wanted to put a new bearing in my motor. When i took the motor apart I noticed that one of the brushes had pulled out of the ring.
So I called my local cart place and asked it they had a new brush ring. He said he had some old ones lying around. He found a old motor end with good brushes ( it looked exactly like mine), the guy said why don't i just put a new bearing in this one and not replace the ring on yours. We agreed.

So when I installed my motor in my cart now the motor gets so hot so fast. The only thing that has changed is the part of the motor with the brushes ring ( the F1 & F2 side). But the F1 & F2 have continuity & A1 & A2 as well.

Could I be wiring up the motor wrong? Is this new part of the motor different from my old one? Do I have a bad connection somewhere?

I am completely lost!!!
LA Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-23-2017, 01:36 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Quick Question

If you flipped F1 & F2, all that would happen is that the direction selector would be backwards, F = reverse, R = forward. But, If you go mixing "A" terminals, and "F" terminals, you will need a new contoller.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 01:51 PM   #3
LA Rebel
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

What is the A terminals where swopped?

Just trying to find out why its getting so hot!!

Thanks
LA Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 02:54 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Sounds like you are working on a 36V PDS drive. (F1 and F2 studs on motor)

Swapping the A1/A2 cables on the A1/A2 studs spins the motor in the opposite direction, just as swapping the F1/F2 cables on the F1/F2 studs makes the motor spin in the opposite direction. Swapping either set (or both) won't cause the motor to heat any more rapidly.

If it is a stock 36V PDS motor, the "F" studs are smaller diameter than the "A" studs, so getting the Field output from the controller connected to the Armature windings and the Armature output from the controller connected to the Field windings isn't likely. It is possible, but it would be difficult to do.

Since you didn't mention anything about the cart being slower than it was, I suspect the F1 or F2 cable was damaged during the R&R. Ring terminal loose or something like that. Check the "F" cables for heat. They carry less than 30A, so they ought to stay cold (air temperature).

What I suspect is happening is that the field amps are a lot lower than what they ought to be and sepex motors (PDS is a sepex motor) get mighty hot mighty fast when the field is weakened excessively.

Also check for worn through insulation where the "F" cables are routed around the battery box. See attached picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Worn field wire insulation.jpg (593.6 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO