lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-08-2017, 02:56 PM   #11
oldnavycdr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Power Wise QE Not Shutting Off?

Thanks JohnnyB! I get 18 holes in with the SOC meter @ a bit above 50% or better so range is fine so far. I always plug in the charger after the days use. The amount of water consumption startled me. I checked them monthly, topped them off (not needing a lot) until a few weeks ago when the cart barely limped home. Batteries were nearly dry! Filled them (always use distilled water), charged them and seems OK now, but having to add water weekly now which is why I asked the original question wondering if the charger was staying on and boiling off the water. Anyway, time to buy that DPI charger and try to ooch along these batts till spring.
oldnavycdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-08-2017, 02:58 PM   #12
oldnavycdr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
So, the charger is in fact off.
Yes, I think so. Pack voltage is below charge voltage. I think JohnnyB nailed the problem. QE charger just under charging all these years and slowly killing the batts.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:21 AM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

One of the nice things about using a charger that float charges is starting your trips with a battery pack that is charged as fully as it can be. If you use your cart every day, the difference may not be very noticeable, but if you only use your cart two or three times a week, the difference will be noticeable.

Attached is a Technical Service Bulletin from US Battery addressing chronic undercharging.
The good news is some of the storage capacity loss is recoverable with proper charging.
The bad news is, at best, they will only recover to 4 year old batteries that have aged normally.

Good luck.

Let us know what happens.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Technical_Service_Bulletin_09_04_2012.pdf (243.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 02:31 PM   #14
oldnavycdr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Very helpful, JohnnieB, thank you! DPI is on the way. It is, of course mildly irritating that EZ-GO would sell a mismatched charger & battery pack. It appears that US Battery was fighting back with their testing and TSB.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:04 PM   #15
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnavycdr View Post
Very helpful, JohnnieB, thank you! DPI is on the way. It is, of course mildly irritating that EZ-GO would sell a mismatched charger & battery pack. It appears that US Battery was fighting back with their testing and TSB.
Crown was never offered from Ezgo as far as I know. And Ezgo's claim on the charger profile is that it is strictly Dv/Dt, so no "profile" is needed.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 04:15 PM   #16
oldnavycdr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

These are US Battery (I mistakenly wrote Crown in the original post) which EZ-GO used at the time I bought the cart. Not sure if they still do but these are original to the cart.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:30 PM   #17
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Yep, US were common for several years.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:42 AM   #18
oldnavycdr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Yep, US were common for several years.
And so that begs the question of what new batteries to get when these give it up. Appreciating that switching to 6 8V would be optimum vs. the 4 12V that it has, I will likely forego the expense of a new rack, cables, etc and go with the 4 12V configuration. US Batteries or Trojan T-1275?
Old 10-10-2017, 08:33 AM   #19
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnavycdr View Post
And so that begs the question of what new batteries to get when these give it up. Appreciating that switching to 6 8V would be optimum vs. the 4 12V that it has, I will likely forego the expense of a new rack, cables, etc and go with the 4 12V configuration. US Batteries or Trojan T-1275?
According to the latest information available on their respective websites, the specs typically used for battery comparisons are:

Trojan T-1275:
AH @ 20hr rate = 150AH
Runtime @ 56A = 102 Minutes
Weight = 85lbs

US Battery US-12RVX-XC2:
AH @ 20hr rate = 155AH
Runtime @ 56A = 110 Minutes
Weight = 86lbs

Looks like US Battery has a slight edge in all three categories and the DPI charger has a charge profile specifically designed for it.

Of course, the Trojan offering is a close second and the DPI has a charge profile specifically designed for it also.

So it more or less boils down to which brand you can get for the best price in your geographic location.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:56 AM   #20
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
------------ And Ezgo's claim on the charger profile is that it is strictly Dv/Dt, so no "profile" is needed.
Apparently DPI's opinion is different than EZGO's opinion.

The constant voltage DPI uses during the absorption charge phase for a Trojan Battery 48V pack is 56.4V while 60.0V is used for US Battery.

Also, the dV/dT (change in Voltage over change in Time) rate could be different.
US Battery recommends a rate of 4 mv/cell per hour, but I cannot find Trojan's recommended dV/dT rate listed anywhere.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO