lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-10-2017, 06:55 AM   #1
Sideways
Gone Wild

Default Tap water in batteries?

Yesterday I spoke to the previous owner if my stock 1994 Medalist, who told me he used tap water to top off the batteries in a last ditch effort to bring them back to life. He also overfilled them to just under the cap.

I purchased the cart knowing I would have to replace all 6 batteries and plan on doing so in the spring.
In the meantime is there anything I can do to reverse his adding tap water and possibly bring the batteries back just enough to move the cart around my garage? Or am I just wasting time?

I have been able to get the cart to move F&R with 2 12volt automotive chargers hooked up to 4 of the 6 batteries.
Thanks again!
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-10-2017, 07:05 AM   #2
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Tap water in batteries?

Reverse the damage? No...
All you can do is see if they will accept a charge...

With that being said it was likely 2 years ago we had to add 4 gallons of tap water to old neglected batteries in a friend's cart... He still uses the same batteries, drives the cart in his yard only. But he now keeps the cart on the charger whenever it's not being used so that gets him enough juice to drive around in the yard.
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:23 PM   #3
VanillaXtract
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I bought a cart with batteries in bad shape. Some of the caps were off, most were low on water. I filled them to the proper amount with DI water, then charged two at a time with a 12V charger. Then once all were good, used the cart charger. I also bought a PowerPulse BMS. The charge has slowly been improving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VanillaXtract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:18 PM   #4
Greg Moore
Not Yet Wild

Depends on the quality of the tap water! IE our water here is heavy with iron and calcium, a few fills with that and the lead plates will be turned into sidewalk stones.. A well filtered house system won't have too much desolved solids so probably not a big deal.. As for the over fill, don't drain it! Boil it off. Batt fluid wants to be a strict ratio of sulpher to water. Overfilling delutes that, draining the excess off leaves it deluted. Just let it boil off over several charges. Only h2o boils off so you will get it back to normal ratio.. Ideally use distilled water only to top up but his assumed one time tap water probably isn't the end of them
Greg Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:37 PM   #5
Sideways
Gone Wild

ok, thanks.
Yesterday I noticed some of the cells had boiled down to the top of the plates so I took a turkey baster and topped those cells off with fluid from the over filled cells.
After 12hrs of charging the pack has gotten no higher than 39.4 volts.
Thanks to everybody on here I am learning something new everyday.
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO