lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-12-2017, 07:32 PM   #1
Richte18
Not Yet Wild

Default Curtis 1268 solenoid issue

Need some help trouble shooting my cart. was running just find, then I gave her a bath and she now does not run even after drying out for a week. Here is what I know.
Curtis 1268 controller
48 volts - reading 51.2
solenoid clicks when throttle is pressed - forward and reverse
with the small solenoid wire attached, I get code 5,5 - main contactor open
with the small solenoid wires disconnect, I get cde 5,4 - fuse open for walk away circuit

I have narrowed it down to the 2 small wires going to the solenoid are reading 30 volts with zero throttle This should be zero volts until the pedal is pressed. So, Im trying to determine if my controller magically went bad (it didn't get wet) or I have something else that is shorted out. mainly thinking this "walkaway" circuit that I have no clue what it is.
Any help would be appreciated.
Richte18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-12-2017, 08:22 PM   #2
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Curtis 1268 solenoid issue

Yeah as long as the controller and solenoid were covered by the weather cover it’s unlikely washing the cart down would ruin the controller. Your solenoid engages with pedal so the ITS should be ok
yamahaguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:23 PM   #3
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Clearly though if the cart stopped working directly after washing it down it got into a wire or a connection and is causing an issue. All it takes is a little water in a wire that requires battery pack voltage and the cart goes dead
yamahaguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:02 AM   #4
mjroman20
Gone Wild

The walkaway circuit is an additional relay that is parallel to the main contactor. It's purpose is to drive field current in the motor if the line contactor is commanded open and the controller detects speed sensor input.

If the vehicle has one installed the controller needs to see:
1) B+ on pin3 this is the walkaway fuse sense line.
2) A coil connected to pin 9 and 23 (walkaway relay coil)

Additionally the line contactor coil should measure such that the current at battery voltage is under 2A. So a 48V system over 27 ohms but I usually suggest using coils over 75ohms of possible.
mjroman20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:25 AM   #5
Richte18
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, this is the exact info I am looking for. I think my relay might be bad? is there a way to test it? Where can I locate the walk away coil to test it?

I do have pack voltage at pin 3.
pins 9 and 23 have pack voltage with key on.
When I hit the gas, voltages at all 3 do not change.

At the relay, I have pack voltage on 3 of the 4 pins at all times regardess of if pedal is pressed. The pin going to the B+ terminal on controller only reads pack voltage while pedal is pressed, then slowly drops to around 10v.

what exactly is the line contactor coil?
Old 10-13-2017, 11:32 AM   #6
mjroman20
Gone Wild

The walkaway relay probably looks like a small plastic box with 4 wires bolted to the frame somewhere, its usually an automotive relay housing. You can test it's functionality by turning the cart on and just pushing it by hand. The backup alarm will go off and it should get noticeably harder to push.

The line contactor coil would be the two small wires coming from the main solenoid. Usually either a quick connect terminal or small rings, there may be a diode across it - if those wires are disconnected that measurement can be taken right across the solenoid terminals.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:44 AM   #7
Richte18
Not Yet Wild

I located the relay and that's where the numbers in the last post came from. if I do push the cart, it does sound the backup alarm but does not get harder to push.

The resistance across the main solenoid "small" terminals is 220 ohms with both wires disconnected. My concern is those 2 small wires going to the solenoid have voltage on both. One line has pack voltage and the other is around 24 volts, is that normal?
Old 10-13-2017, 02:20 PM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The walkaway relay is a 24v relay, so that sounds plausible.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:18 AM   #9
mjroman20
Gone Wild

The walkaway relay voltage is adjustable by % of battery. The handset will show "Aux Pull-In" and "Aux Hold-In" 1 is 100%, 2 is something like 66% and 3 is around 30% if I recall correctly.

Since you are not getting any resistance to pushing the cart then my guess is the small, walkaway relay is bad, or possibly disabled. If you have a handset the "Aux Driver Mode" setting can be changed between 0 - off, 1 - Walkaway, 2 - EM Brake.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:29 AM   #10
Richte18
Not Yet Wild

Best place to get a handheld OEM programmer? All I have found is eBay for around $500. 1313-4401
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO