lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-15-2017, 09:32 PM   #1
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Powerwise charger

I have a powerwise charger basically not putting anything out. If it is it’s probably 1 amp. I do know in certain cases putting in a new capacitor will fix the amp output issue but it didn’t make a difference here. What else can cause the powerwise charger to not put out amps?

Thanks
yamahaguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-16-2017, 01:38 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Powerwise charger

Which charger? There were at least 4 different "powerwise" model chargers.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 01:49 AM   #3
cgtech

Yamaha

To anyone who wants to be working on chargers regularly, consider getting one of these cheap testers off eBay. They will test diodes/rectifiers, and capacitors (among many other things you may never use). And they will give you real numbers for "why", not just "good/bad". I love mine. No average volt meter can test a capacitor with any accuracy., And with 3 leads, it will test rectifiers with one click. Now the kits are complete (and usually assembled), but when I got mine when they were $18 for the "you solder it together" kit, and added my own leads, it was SOO worth it. Don't let the flags fool ya, it's totally China stuff, but worth it for the money. A good 4mF cap will read right around 4000, so a 2540 is bad. (Just a wild example, and data that a average volt meter could never show).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20171015-234220.jpg (59.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-16-2017, 06:47 AM   #4
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I will have to look into that. That’s a good question lol I will have to check tomorrow but it’s a powerwise charger for a TXT. I thought there was only powerwise and powerwise2
Old 10-16-2017, 07:06 PM   #5
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
To anyone who wants to be working on chargers regularly, consider getting one of these cheap testers off eBay. They will test diodes/rectifiers, and capacitors (among many other things you may never use). And they will give you real numbers for "why", not just "good/bad". I love mine. No average volt meter can test a capacitor with any accuracy., And with 3 leads, it will test rectifiers with one click. Now the kits are complete (and usually assembled), but when I got mine when they were $18 for the "you solder it together" kit, and added my own leads, it was SOO worth it. Don't let the flags fool ya, it's totally China stuff, but worth it for the money. A good 4mF cap will read right around 4000, so a 2540 is bad. (Just a wild example, and data that a average volt meter could never show).

That seems like a nifty kit to have, I have not tested any capacitors lately but hopefully my 300$ Klein meter can accurately test them interestingly enough a lot of chargers I see are because they drove away with it plugged in or the DC cord wrapped around the steering column and ripped it out. Or the breaker tripped and all they needed to do was push the button to reset it!!!
Old 10-16-2017, 07:09 PM   #6
cgtech

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaguy97 View Post
That seems like a nifty kit to have, I have not tested any capacitors lately but hopefully my 300$ Klein meter can accurately test them
I would hope your right!
Old 10-17-2017, 09:10 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaguy97 View Post
I have a powerwise charger basically not putting anything out. If it is it’s probably 1 amp. I do know in certain cases putting in a new capacitor will fix the amp output issue but it didn’t make a difference here. What else can cause the powerwise charger to not put out amps?

Thanks
Sounds like you are working on a ferroresonant transformer type charger and they all work pretty much the same way. With the various bells and whistles eliminated, the charger consists of a transformer, a capacitor and a pair of diodes.

The earlier models had an electromechanical timer that stopped the charge cycle when the timer timed out. Later models had a semi-smarty switch (control board) that applied AC power to the transformer if the battery pack was about 30V or more and then stopped the charge cycle when the on-charge voltage climbed about 45V, or in about 12 or 16 hours is the on-charge voltage did not reach about 45V in the allotted time.

While not necessary, an ammeter was placed in series with the output.

If the transformer hums, it is getting AC power to it, so the timer or control board is okay. That leaves four probable causes for the charger not working.

1. Bad transformer.
2. Bad capacitor (defective or wrong value)
3. Bad diode or diodes.
4. Bad ammeter (meter or shunt defective)

With AC power applied to transformer primary (Jumper relay) and output cable not connected to cart, measure the AC voltage between the wires connected to the diodes.

It should be 90VAC +/- about 7VAC. If it isn't either transformer or capacitor is bad.

Shut of charge and discharge capacitor (it has about 500V on it so be careful) and disconnect capacitor, Power up charger and the voltage applied to the diodes ought to be 60VAC +/- 5VAC. If not, the transformer is bad, if so the capacitor is bad.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 02:04 PM   #8
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Sounds like you are working on a ferroresonant transformer type charger and they all work pretty much the same way. With the various bells and whistles eliminated, the charger consists of a transformer, a capacitor and a pair of diodes.

The earlier models had an electromechanical timer that stopped the charge cycle when the timer timed out. Later models had a semi-smarty switch (control board) that applied AC power to the transformer if the battery pack was about 30V or more and then stopped the charge cycle when the on-charge voltage climbed about 45V, or in about 12 or 16 hours is the on-charge voltage did not reach about 45V in the allotted time.

While not necessary, an ammeter was placed in series with the output.

If the transformer hums, it is getting AC power to it, so the timer or control board is okay. That leaves four probable causes for the charger not working.

1. Bad transformer.
2. Bad capacitor (defective or wrong value)
3. Bad diode or diodes.
4. Bad ammeter (meter or shunt defective)

With AC power applied to transformer primary (Jumper relay) and output cable not connected to cart, measure the AC voltage between the wires connected to the diodes.

It should be 90VAC +/- about 7VAC. If it isn't either transformer or capacitor is bad.

Shut of charge and discharge capacitor (it has about 500V on it so be careful) and disconnect capacitor, Power up charger and the voltage applied to the diodes ought to be 60VAC +/- 5VAC. If not, the transformer is bad, if so the capacitor is bad.
Wow you are a wealth of info aren't you lol. It is working just not putting out much amperage. But I will definitely go through the testing you just explained so thanks. And as for the part about being careful to not touch the capacitor yeah....I learned that lesson the hard way the first year I started working with golf carts...I unplugged the dc cord but left the ac cord in and was not thinking and grabbed the capacitor with my fingers. It was a 48v charger. That current really buzzed me bad...left two burn holes in my finger tips...does not bring back good memories for me
Old 10-17-2017, 09:20 PM   #9
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

cg, which of the 2 testers are you talking about getting?
smokey tennis shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:23 PM   #10
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I don’t think he singled one out, he just posted a picture of the search results. If you read their descriptions they both say they do the same thing
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO