lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-27-2017, 03:49 AM   #11
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: textron total charge iii not shutting off when unplugged

Haha, bad meter readings rears it's ugly head again.... Now you have to start all over!
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-27-2017, 07:15 AM   #12
scottperry08
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I checked it this morning after charging overnight and the charger was still running. The pack voltage was 40.3 and the voltage at the red and black wire on the circuit board in the charger was reading 41.3. They were gassing pretty heavily and there was a pretty strong rotten smell in my shop. I'm no where near 48 volts which is what I'm told turns the charger off. Would this be a battery issue? They are pretty old but they hold a very good charge for a good length of time and their voltages are very consistent with each other.
scottperry08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:01 AM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I fumble fingered the last voltage mentioned in this paragraph. "The control board is a semi-smart switch. All it does is turn the charger on when it is connected to a battery pack whose voltage is above about 28V and turn the charger off either when the output voltage reaches about 45V, or if the output voltage does not reach about 48V within about 16 hours." The 48V should be 45V.

The 1.0V difference between the pack voltage and the sensed voltage at the control board indicates some undesired resistance in the black a white wires between the charge receptacle and main battery terminals. Cleaning the connections at the battery pack end ought to take care of most of that. If there is a fuse between the cable and battery terminal, it will cause some of the difference.

Fortunately, the voltage difference between the control board a main battery terminals decrease as charging amps decrease and charging amps are minimal as the on-charge voltage approaches 45V, so the battery pack won't be severely undercharged.

Keep an eye on the electrolyte level so the plates don't get exposed to air and let the charge go until it shuts off automatically, or starts climbing above 46V. (46V is not a fumble finger.)

What make/model are the batteries?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 11:01 AM   #14
scottperry08
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

ok, I'll plug it back in tonight when I get home from work and see what happens. I'll also clean any corrosion I can find so maybe I can narrow my problem down some more. I havn't seen a fuse but I'll look again tonight. The date code on the batteries are 2009.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:11 AM   #15
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottperry08 View Post
ok, I'll plug it back in tonight when I get home from work and see what happens. I'll also clean any corrosion I can find so maybe I can narrow my problem down some more. I havn't seen a fuse but I'll look again tonight. The date code on the batteries are 2009.
8 year old batteries. It's probably getting time for some new ones. Anything over 5-6 years is bonus time.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 03:30 PM   #16
scottperry08
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

yea I figured I was playing on lucks side with them this far lol, but as long as it'll keep the cart running for a week or 2 at a time with little to moderate use then I'm going to milk them as long as possible.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:45 PM   #17
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottperry08 View Post
yea I figured I was playing on lucks side with them this far lol, but as long as it'll keep the cart running for a week or 2 at a time with little to moderate use then I'm going to milk them as long as possible.
I would run them as long as you can. Just don't run them so low the cart struggles. That can damage controllers, motors and such. You may just have to recharge more often.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO