lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-28-2017, 08:31 PM   #1
Goliath
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Marathon Steering Shaft Question (Free Play)

Have some extra steering free-play on my 92 Marathon.

It's NOT below the steering box. Everything below the box is tight.

Took apart the steering box, and all looks good, even the small rack and reduction gear. I can move the wheels by hand, and watch the rack move with every little movement of the wheel, so it appears the box and gears are good too.

The only thing I can find is the universal joint in the lower portion of the steering shaft (non-replaceable) has a little play, so I ordered a whole new shaft. It comes with the shaft, universal, and lower pinion gear.

I just realized the repair manual shows a sleeve bushing at the lower end of the steering tube, I'm guessing to keep the universal centered. This bushing is non-replaceable, unless buying the whole column.

Has anyone ever seen this bushing cause play? I'd rather not order a column if not necessary.

Last edited by Goliath; 12-28-2017 at 08:32 PM.. Reason: More Info
Goliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-28-2017, 09:29 PM   #2
EZHO
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Marathon Steering Shaft Question (Free Play)

Has anyone ever seen this bushing cause play? I'd rather not order a column if not necessary.

have someone move the steering wheel back and forth and back and forth and back forth till the wheels start to move .. check all shafts,tie rods ect' look for what moves without the wheels starting to move .. just did my bushings . but didnt need it . most of my play is from my king pins now . and just the bushings on order now ,there the same as steering bushings .. check your private messages ,upper right corner
EZHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:06 PM   #3
Goliath
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Marathon Steering Shaft Question (Free Play)

Thanks, that's the first thing I did.
NO play except for above the box.
Goliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO