lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-27-2019, 06:12 PM   #11
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Upgrade questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jseal View Post
I have a 2006 Precedent, with a 6” Steeleng lift kit, with 23” dia offroad wheels and tires. As I understand it, I have options for speed upgrades. I live in a hilly area.
Option 1: speed controller reset to 5, from the standard setting of 4.
Option 2: install Alltrax 300 amp controller, for an increase in speed and torque.
Option 3: 400 amp controller, 200 amp solenoid, cable upgrade.
Option 4: option 3 , plus motor upgrade.
I do not personally feel like spending the big $$$ for option 4, and option 3 would be a stepping stone for the future. I am most curious about the relative difference and results from either option 1 or 2, and would hope that someone with way more knowledge than I, ( read, “ everybody”) could chime in. Thankyou in advance!!
If you live in a truly hilly area then your best option is at least a 500 amp controller. We live in a very hilly area and while I'm happy with the cart that I pieced together but if I were to build it again I would use a 700 amp controller with a 1000 amp solenoid and 2 gauge cables. I would still use a Plum Quick motor but I would not use the Executioner motor, I would use one of their HIGHER torque motors that gives up a little top speed for 30 to 40 percent more torque. As while mine does respectfully well with 4 or more on board but it slows down quite a bit on the hills. I'd also be wanting to use the biggest 8 volt batteries I could fit for extended range. Currently using Crown CR165 but would select CR190 if I could as there have been a few occasions where I've strayed too far and had to help the cart out the last couple of hills... As for tires I have 22" and I'm just not sure if I'd want any bigger as they in my opinion look out of proportion and consume a lot of energy...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-27-2019, 08:07 PM   #12
Out2Sea
Gone Wild

You have an option 2b:

Buy a 400 an have it detuned to 300. If it does what you need then stop. If not put it back to 400 and throw HD parts at it to handle the non OEM amps.

There may be other options that aren’t recognized on this forum. You may want to do some more research in social media groups to hear about them, and see if they are appropriate for you. Those groups may not have the knowledge of this forum, but then they are free from its constraints also.
Out2Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 08:28 PM   #13
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

For an 03 Precedent with 23" tires I think the XCT48500IQ controller is a given. It is certainly the most popular choice. The big tires increase the gear ratio almost 25% and they reduce the torque or power by the same 25%. So a 400 amp control effects performance like a 300 amp which is a minimal upgrade in the majority's eyes.
Get the 500, and detune it to 400 specs so you can run the stock motor and then turn it up when you get that awesome aftermarket motor later..... That's what I see most often
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 07:08 AM   #14
Jseal
Not Yet Wild

Smile Re: Upgrade questions

Thankyou to everyone for their thoughtful replies. I have learnt a lot about these carts , and a have a much better appreciation of the pros and cons , and engineering rationales behind them. Again, many thanks for the input. A great forum, with knowledgeable members.... I see some outgoing dollars in my future....
Jseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car