lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-13-2014, 11:21 AM   #11
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: New batteries 3 miles

I see 2 red flags. Low amp hour batteries and motor too hot to hold hand on. Motor heating up indicates excessive amperage draw and small amp hour capacity (Plus new, not broke in, not full capacity yet) all adds up to the problem you have. Can you try another motor form the fleet you bought?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-13-2014, 11:29 AM   #12
chriskent85
Gone Wild

yes, that was my next task, its been about 20 to 30 mins since the cart has been on charge and the motor is still too hot to keep my hand on.

Question, Can I use a DCS motor on it since the speed sensor isnt being used now?

Answered my own question. lol. runs good
chriskent85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 01:00 PM   #13
chriskent85
Gone Wild

now i have to wait till the batteries charge up again to test it. I hate playing the waiting game
Old 11-13-2014, 02:13 PM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskent85 View Post
yes, that was my next task, its been about 20 to 30 mins since the cart has been on charge and the motor is still too hot to keep my hand on.

Question, Can I use a DCS motor on it since the speed sensor isnt being used now?

Answered my own question. lol. runs good
You need to load Field Map #3 into the DCX controller to run a DCS motor. (PDS motor uses Filed Map #4)

However, the wrong field map for the PDS motor being loaded might be the reason the PDS motor got hot so hot. What Field Map is loaded?

-------------
Also, are the batteries used in the 48V pack US Battery model US 8VGC XC2?

If so, what Make/Model charger is being used? US Battery batteries need a higher voltage to be fully charged and not all 48V chargers will charge them completely.

Attached is the SoC chart I received from the Senior Vice-President of Engineering at US Battery.
The difference between US Battery and Trojan Battery is mostly from 90% SoC and above.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCX Field Maps.jpg (167.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png US Battery SoC vs OCV table from USB.png (185.3 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 03:22 PM   #15
chriskent85
Gone Wild

he has a Stanley charger. I have been charging it with my DPI.. batteries are powertron P8000. I put the US batteries in another cart.
Old 11-13-2014, 04:08 PM   #16
chriskent85
Gone Wild

wonder why the field map is different. The PDS motor and DCS motor are the same and both can be used with stock controller without changing anything in the stock controller. the DCS motor even has a place for the speed sensor to sit in the end of it.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:58 AM   #17
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
wonder why the field map is different. The PDS motor and DCS motor are the same and both can be used with stock controller without changing anything in the stock controller. the DCS motor even has a place for the speed sensor to sit in the end of it.
They are wound a bit differently. The DCS motor leans more towards low end torque and the PDS motor leans more toward high end torque (speed).
If they were in fact the same, Alltrax would use the same field map for both.

While I'm not sure if many cart builders out there intentionally mix and match PDS and DCS motors and controllers, the obvious reason why PDS and DCS motors might be used interchangeably with stock PDS and DCS controllers without changing anything in the stock controllers, is simply because users cannot change the field maps in the stock controllers.

This is speculation, but I suspect another reason is because the field maps used in stock DCS and PDS controllers doesn't push the motors to anywhere near their maximum performance, so mixing motor/controller pairs only causes excessive heat rather than rapid thermal destruction.

A stock PDS controller uses a motor speed sensor to limit motor RPM, so many people believe the single act of removing the RPM limiter from the equation gives a PDS cart the boost in speed it receives from an Alltrax controller, but more aggressive field mapping plays a role also.

On the other hand, a DCS controller does not use a motor sped sensor and when it is replaced with a DCX type controller, the cart has a very significant increase in speed (about 60%), that can only be attributed to field mapping.

Bottom line, use the field map recommended for the motor installed.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:10 PM   #18
chriskent85
Gone Wild

Where do you get the new field map. I looked in the software and didnt see anywhere where you could change it.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:55 PM   #19
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The field map usually comes from the motor supplier. Alltrax may have some maps available but they are not on the website, you will have to call for your requested map.

Alltrax does have instructions on changing the field maps on their website. It's Technical Note 002, scroll about halfway down this link:
http://www.alltraxinc.com/Doc_Depot.html
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 03:30 PM   #20
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Where do you get the new field map. I looked in the software and didnt see anywhere where you could change it.
Sportcoupe's reply answers your question, but I'm curious as to what Field Map is installed in the DCX controller now.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO