lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-30-2015, 05:23 PM   #1
jeffro22
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default 48v Conversion and Upgrade ?s

have a 2004 ezgo series cart.. Just upgraded to a 48v system, with all new cables, F&R switch, 500 alltrax controller and solenoid.

Running into a wiring issue i think. cart works fine, except the controller flashes LED codes when the key is turned off. It is showing a pre-charge failure code when the key is off, When the key is on it goes away and everything seems to function fine.

I do have a "jumper wire" from my large terminal of the battery side solenoid going back to the small terminal of the solenoid "controller side", which seems out of place (but was wired this way before upgrade)

When I remove that jumper wire i loose all power regardless of key position,

any help is appreciated. I am concerned that if i leave it the way it is now I will burn out the solenoid or controller since it seems to always be powered
jeffro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-30-2015, 07:15 PM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 48v Conversion and Upgrade ?s

Do you have a resistor on your solenoid? If so, remove one side and test it. If not, that may be the problem.

I have a 500 amp AXE, but yours may be newer.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:15 PM   #3
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The small jumper wire you describe needs to be there. Do you not have a pre-charger resister across the large solenoid studs?
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:36 PM   #4
Revolution
Voltaholic

Mixed Breed

Is your precharge resistor warm or hot with the key off? Axe controllers don't normaly flash any codes when your not applying key switch voltage.

I would guess your controller is staying powered on with the key off.

Check for voltage on pin 1 from b- with the key off.
Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:13 AM   #5
jeffro22
Gone Wild
Club Car

I do have the correct pre charge resistor in place. This was complete kit from scottieb... so it is most likely something on the cart side wiring. I am guessing the guy i bought it from messed with the wiring at some point. not sure why. I might try to sketch out my current wiring and see if anyone notices anything out of place
jeffro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:14 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Pictures would help.

Sounds like the previous owner re-arranged the control wiring a bit.

In a series cart, there aren't any small wires on the solenoid's large terminals, just the heavy cables and the pre-charge resistor.

When conventionally wired, the solenoid coil doesn't have positive pack voltage on the coil (small terminals), nor is the controller powered-up, until a direction is selected, key is ON and the pedal is pushed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SPM in EZGO -ITS.jpg (287.0 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 03:40 PM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Which controller do you have? As mentioned, AXEs don't know whether a precharge resistor is installed or not.

That's why I like old school AXE series controllers. We need to know what you have, so you can get the correct wiring diagram.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO