lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-21-2015, 02:10 PM   #1
Lakebit
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Speed magnate affect on torque

I have a 2009 CC IQ cart with 22X11X10 tires and wheels with a 6" Allsports lift

I have upgraded to a 500 amp Alltrax controller, 4 ga. wires and 800 amp solenoid

On flat land at coast cart runs 21 - 22 mph, here in north Ga. low torque and slower speed up hills

I am currently considering upgrading to a #7144 4.3 hp @ 2525 rpm, a #7144 7 hp @ 5106 rpm or #7177 5 hp @ 2740 rpm AMD motor. AMD to keep speed sensor

If I decide on the lower rpm motor and add a speed magnate to the new motor how will this affect the torque and speed performance?

I would like to keep the speed below 30 mph but close to the speed I now get from the stock motor on flat ground and increased torque
Lakebit is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-21-2015, 09:13 PM   #2
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Default Re: Speed magnate affect on torque

The speed magnet doesn't change your torque at all. It simply keeps the motor braking from slowing the car down when it reaches top speed. You've got an AllTrax controller. I've never used them so I don't know how they behave. Do you still have motor braking or is it gone? If it's already been eliminated a magnet won't do anything for you.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:12 PM   #3
Lakebit
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Speed magnet affect on torque

David the regen braking seems to be none existent with the Alltrax controller

If the regen braking is no longer used is there a need for the speed sensor on the motor? I still have the roll away alarm, is that the only function of the speed sensor at this point?

I have also noticed that some of the motors specs state they have a 10 spline shaft and some make no mention about spline shaft, do you know what my cart has?

Thanks for your insight on how the magnet works on the Seprex motor
Old 04-22-2015, 05:18 AM   #4
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

If you don't feel the motor braking limiting your top speed then a magnet wont help you. The Alltrax may have it disabled. About the rear end, all Club Car Kawasaki and Graziano rear ends are 10 spline.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:33 AM   #5
Lakebit
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks
Old 04-22-2015, 07:06 PM   #6
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Here is a diagram of how the speed sensor is connected with an Alltrax.

PS I would go with the #7144 7 hp @ 5106 rpm. You got enough torque with the Alltrax now you need HP.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DWG-DCX-ClubCar-IQ-WIRE-DIA.pdf (99.9 KB, 0 views)
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:23 PM   #7
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjance View Post
Here is a diagram of how the speed sensor is connected with an Alltrax.

PS I would go with the #7144 7 hp @ 5106 rpm. You got enough torque with the Alltrax now you need HP.
You mean where it says "Speed sensor not used"?
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:35 PM   #8
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 03:09 PM   #9
Lakebit
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Speed magnet affect on torque

Thanks guys, but now I am confused

If the speed sensor is no longer used after installing an Alltrax controller then what is controlling the roll away alarm?

If no sensor input then is there a need for me to buy a motor with a sensor on the motor?

Originally Posted by jjance

PS I would go with the #7144 7 hp @ 5106 rpm. You got enough torque with the Alltrax now you need HP

jjance - I know that you are using the #7144 in the hills of Tennessee and have the speed & torque you need, but with the 6" lift and 22" tires on my cart, one of the front tires comes off the ground during a sharp turn going up hill at take off. Maybe I just need HD springs on rear to cure this Don't want cart to get to unstable and I expect a lot more speed from a 7 hp @ 5106 rpm motor

The good news is the cost for # 7144 is less than the # 7177 5 hp @ 2740 rpm. Not sure why but I think the lower rpm has more winding's, thus more copper, more copper more cost
Old 04-23-2015, 03:43 PM   #10
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The Curtis controllers use the very low current signal from the speed sensor "pulses" to "wake up" the controller and initiate the rollaway brake as long as the Tow/Run switch is on Run and the cart is not being charged.

As far as I know, the existing DCX controllers only use rollaway brake if the key is ON and it is always applying voltage to the motor to prevent the cart from moving, which I think is not a very good idea if You forget the cart with the key in the ON position.

The wheel coming off the ground happens all the time with my cart coming off my neighbors driveway going up a hill, not a whole lot of articulation in the rear suspension (or the front for that matter), even worse with the HD springs.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car