lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-04-2015, 02:05 PM   #1
Den59
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Club Cart stops running

I have a 97 Club Car DS, I replaced the motor controller, solenoid, F/R switch. Today I was driving the cart came to a stop, and then it would not move. After a while sitting there then it would start moving. About an hour went out again and it did the same thing. I checked the wires everything is tight, the solenoid click but no peddle response again after sitting about 10 min it starting moving. Any thoughts on what to check?
Den59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-04-2015, 02:11 PM   #2
Den59
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Club Cart stops running

Also have all new batteries
Old 07-04-2015, 02:43 PM   #3
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Are the batteries charged and up to the water fill level.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 03:43 PM   #4
Den59
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Batteries have a full charge and water is good
Old 07-04-2015, 04:04 PM   #5
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Maybe the controller is overheating and going into thermal overload. After you drive for a while feel the motor and controller and see if it is getting too hot. Five second rule. If you can hold your hand on it for a 5 sec count it's not to hot. What was the time interval between changing the controller and your problems starting?
Old 07-04-2015, 04:50 PM   #6
Den59
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

The new motor and contoller have been on 5 to 6 months
Old 07-04-2015, 08:50 PM   #7
klanel
Gone Wild
Club Car

I would also be leaning towards the controller and a thermal problem. Purchase a can of freeze spray and when it stops, spray the components and the circuit board on the controller and see if it starts working again. If so, likely that either a component is overheating or you have a bad connection on the circuit board. I'd first look for cold solder joints, especially around larger structures or places that could be mechanically stressed. Look closely and if you see a ring around where the component lead is soldered, it needs resoldering. Also look for cracks in the foil traces which are possible but less likely. Do this is if you can get the cover off. Since I'm not familiar with the controller construction, don't know if this is an option. The freeze spray you can get from an electronic supply house. Mcm electronics, Newark electronics, to name a couple. If not a bad connection, I'd be leaning toward a component overheating as mentioned by jlance. Good luck.

PS: the freeze spray is non conducive and safe to use on powered electronic equipment. So no need to power down.
klanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 09:38 PM   #8
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Only one thing to add about Klanel's response. If there is any possibility that your controller is still under warranty don't take it apart. Send it in for repair. Just thought of something else. What kind of motor and controller do you have?
Old 07-09-2015, 10:10 PM   #9
Den59
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

It's a brand new alltrax controller. I can't remember the make of the motor it's 6 hp I bought from buggies unlimited . I bought a heat sink and a fan I am going to mount on it to see if that works. It's about a year old, but I built a 57 Chevy cart and I don't think enough air is getting up there? I hope the heat sink and fan does the trick?
Old 07-09-2015, 10:41 PM   #10
Muddog
Crazy Wild

Club Car

Why did you buy the fan and heatsink ? Was controller too hot to touch after shutdown?
Muddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car