lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-04-2016, 11:52 PM   #1
usagcr
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default PQ0509 solenoid/mcor question

Got 48v cc model pq0509. Original problem cart won't go fwd or rev, or just lunges. While just looking over everything and checking batt. We jacked up rear end and depressed go pedal. Nothing happened no solenoid click ( we did hear mcor micro switch) BUT as we released go pedal the wheels tried to turn. So we pressed and released go pedal several times, one time when we pressed the go pedal the motor and wheels started turning, however it was run, cut out, run, cut out, run, cut out. We noticed we never heard the solenoid engage, hmmm. So we pulled the small wires off the solenoid and hooked up dvm. On the blue wire as soon as the mcor switch made we had 50v, on the blue/white I think I had some voltage but as soon as the mcor switch made I got open (OL) on my dvm. Now here is where I got confused. With both control voltage wires (the small ones) disconnected from the solenoid the **** thing started, not for long and intermittent, but it started. How could that be.? I disconnected the big wires off of the solenoid and checked for plunger being stuck but it was not. We still have never heard original solenoid make. I had a 48v solenoid new spare, so I connected big lugs wires back on the original solenoid, and with the small control wires still disconnected I ran a jumper from them to my new solenoid just to see if mcor would make the new solenoid click (or make). Here goes odd stuff again.
As soon as we pressed the go pedal to the point the microswitch made, my new solenoid made contact and pulled plunger down. And **** wheels and motor turned again. You can hear the new solenoid engage and release in corolation with the run and cut out, run, and cut out, it does this maybe 3 or 4 times then quits. So do I have a bad solenoid and a bad mcor ? And how come the motor runs when the small wires are disconnected from the solenoid ?.. Any suggestions

Thanks
usagcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-05-2016, 07:52 AM   #2
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: PQ0509 solenoid/mcor question

It runs because it's getting current through the precharge resistor. It will run until the caps inside the controller are discharged. Let up and the caps charge again through the resistor. And the cycle continues.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:04 AM   #3
usagcr
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

So that is why it runs and cuts out, runs and cuts out and runs and cuts out with the pedal pressed and held down, ? I do believe I have a bad solenoid because I have not heard the plunger in it yet. I will check it further today but I'm sure it is bad. And as far as the hit and miss maybe a bad mcor, however I get my 50v on pin 10 every time the ms on mcor makes. Thanks for info because I thought I was crazy with the motor running and the solenoid not in line
Old 09-05-2016, 11:12 AM   #4
usagcr
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

PS: I did not see a resistor between the big lugs on the solenoid, I know or believe there is supposed to be one and I don't know who worked on cart last, but I do remember there was no resistor, if that helps
Old 09-05-2016, 01:50 PM   #5
usagcr
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Standing here checking the Mcor2, it appears to be functioning properly on the bench
Old 09-05-2016, 02:43 PM   #6
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Are you actually driving the cart while it's running and cutting out? The reason I ask, is because this is normal operation when the car is in the air. The speed sensor keeps the motor from over revving. Try to drive it and see how it acts. I think the solenoid fixed your problem.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 02:49 PM   #7
usagcr
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yes Tahoe it is jacked up, are you saying lower it down and try to drive it. we have not replaced the solenoid that is our next step, we checked the mcor, got to put it back on. I'm gonna replace that solenoid thanks I'll let u know what happens.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:10 PM   #8
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

I mis-read. Put the new solenoid on it and put the cart on the ground and see what it does.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:33 PM   #9
usagcr
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

It runs like a champ, everything is back together and A OK. THANKS SO MUCH, Jjance and Tahoe, lessons learned. Caps can make a cart lunge, and a 2005 cc pres/iq will not run in the air, thanks guys.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:39 PM   #10
usagcr
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Just a side note if I can attach a picture, it didn't take a rocket scientist to figure what was wrong on the other on I worked on today. Ez go 2002 36v
image.jpg can't get but one pic

Last edited by usagcr; 09-05-2016 at 08:24 PM.. Reason: I can't get more than 1 pic
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car