lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-30-2016, 02:08 AM   #1
Skoalbandit30
Not Yet Wild

Default 36 volt resistor conversion

Ok, I'm new here but not to old carts. I've got a late 80s model ezgo, ( not home so model eludes me), anyway, new Batts and cables, been rebuilding for a while. I work on a golf course and one of our newer carts, ( believe it is a 2001, just got retired ( employee rolled down a hill, no brake, carts not worth fixing now, but still functions as far as electrical components. Body shot and rear end snapped. Sorry for rambling, trying to be discriptive. Is it possible to take the speed controll, selonoids and what not off of this cart and convert mine away from the hot power robbing coil resistors? And if so does anybody know or have a diagrahm explaining what I need to hook up and where? Sorry for all the questions.
Skoalbandit30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-30-2016, 08:00 AM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: 36 volt resistor conversion

yes the conversion can be done
i got one (73 ezgo) that had a updated system
you will need some resistors on the wiper and controller

see photos http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-marathon.html
Old 10-30-2016, 10:18 AM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

If you have all the parts to the later models power unit.....yes, just get the wiring diagram for the 2001 and get after it.....you would just need to make up a set of high current cables.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 10:20 AM   #4
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
If you have all the parts to the later models power unit.....yes, just get the wiring diagram for the 2001 and get after it.....you would just need to make up a set of high current cables.
what about the I T S ? pedal assembly ?
Old 10-31-2016, 05:59 AM   #5
Skoalbandit30
Not Yet Wild

I've got the entire cart minus body smashed and rear end. Thanks
Old 10-31-2016, 09:05 AM   #6
rib33024

Your 80 marathon is a series drive system. And more than likely, your 01 TXT is a PDS drive system. What drive system is the 01 TXT?
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:05 AM   #7
Skoalbandit30
Not Yet Wild

I may be off on the years of carts but they are both series. I know the newer one is not regan.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:26 AM   #8
Skoalbandit30
Not Yet Wild

And sorry if I sound less then knowledgeable, but anything much past the old marathons are new to me. I guess the big thing for me was can I do it? And is there going to be a benefit over the wiper and coil system. We actually have 4 more carts like this with varying problems. The club wants em gone and offered em to me for 100 bucks each. I actually used the Batts outta one for my cart. All 6 had been outside for 2 years and after a charge test perfect. Seemed worth the money to me!!
Old 10-31-2016, 09:58 PM   #9
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoalbandit30 View Post
And sorry if I sound less then knowledgeable, but anything much past the old marathons are new to me. I guess the big thing for me was can I do it? And is there going to be a benefit over the wiper and coil system. We actually have 4 more carts like this with varying problems. The club wants em gone and offered em to me for 100 bucks each. I actually used the Batts outta one for my cart. All 6 had been outside for 2 years and after a charge test perfect. Seemed worth the money to me!!
An electronic speed control is much more efficient than the resistors, allowing less power loss when the cart is running at slower than full speed. You will need to be sure on the series vs sepex (seperate excitation) because field current requirements are very different between the two. A series motor has full armature current flowing through the field, while sepex has reduced field current.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 02:41 AM   #10
Skoalbandit30
Not Yet Wild

Well I picked up another cart they had robbed springs and body,seat from. It is running. It's a 94. Would this be easier to do? Looks like just a speed controler. Asume the motor would be compatible with this set up. Sorry for all the dumb questions. Never messed with one without the coils.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO