lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-23-2016, 07:53 PM   #1
Ryankoenning
Not Yet Wild

Default Load test and diagnosis

I've got a 36 volt 1994 ds. Can I do a load test on the batteries with a multimeter by turning on the headlights and pushing the pedal to the floor while up against a tree? If so, what voltage drop is expected across all 6 batteries when doing so? The cart slows down after 10 minutes or so after charging. I cleaned and tightened all connections.
Ryankoenning is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-23-2016, 08:20 PM   #2
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Load test and diagnosis

I'm thinking that would be a disaster. Better to drive it up a hill for the load. It would also be better to load test each battery individually. That way you can find the bad battery.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 08:24 PM   #3
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryankoenning View Post
I've got a 36 volt 1994 ds. Can I do a load test on the batteries with a multimeter by turning on the headlights and pushing the pedal to the floor while up against a tree? If so, what voltage drop is expected across all 6 batteries when doing so? The cart slows down after 10 minutes or so after charging. I cleaned and tightened all connections.
While you can indeed use battery voltage readings as a means of load testing it is never a good idea to stall an electric motor for any length of time... Better to find a good healthy hill and/or load your cart down with some willing friends...

On a 36 volt cart with 6 volt batteries 31 volts or 5.2 volts each is your threshold to watch for and how quickly they cover from once returning to level ground...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 10:01 AM   #4
Ryankoenning
Not Yet Wild

Thank you both. Is there anything else I can test/diagnose before I buy new batteries? I'm trying to flip this cart so I can buy a gas powered one and would like to spend as little as possible. Im probably leaning towards reconditioned batteries for replacements.
Old 11-25-2016, 09:49 PM   #5
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Thank you both. Is there anything else I can test/diagnose before I buy new batteries? I'm trying to flip this cart so I can buy a gas powered one and would like to spend as little as possible. Im probably leaning towards reconditioned batteries for replacements.
No such thing as a reconditioned battery
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 12:56 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Anyone who has lived in California is familiar with the term reconditioned battery. It is a much a misnomer as rebuilt speed controller.

They are available from any dealer thanks to the huge battery recycle business. I have not witnessed the facility or the process first hand but my dealer explains it as a cleaning, refilling, and recharging of used batteries which are then tested and warrantied. I have installed them and I find that they cost half as much as new and last about half as long if maintained well. However, you may have early failures if you fail to keep them charged up.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 02:29 PM   #7
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Anyone who has lived in California is familiar with the term reconditioned battery. It is a much a misnomer as rebuilt speed controller.

They are available from any dealer thanks to the huge battery recycle business. I have not witnessed the facility or the process first hand but my dealer explains it as a cleaning, refilling, and recharging of used batteries which are then tested and warrantied. I have installed them and I find that they cost half as much as new and last about half as long if maintained well. However, you may have early failures if you fail to keep them charged up.

Please send me over the phone number and I will call them. Thanks
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:23 PM   #8
Ryankoenning
Not Yet Wild

Is there anything else I should test/diagnose before I assume the batteries are bad?
Old 12-02-2016, 07:35 PM   #9
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Is there anything else I should test/diagnose before I assume the batteries are bad?
There is no need to assume anything... Have you followed the suggested load testing as suggested by JJ and myself? Have to tried charging the batteries and without using the cart checking standing voltage over the course of several days?
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car