lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-31-2017, 06:42 AM   #1
Canuck12345
Not Yet Wild

Default How to charge with 2 of 4 new batteries?

I am hoping to get some advise on how we should approach charging the batteries after we have replaced 2 of the 4 batteries? We have a 48v Club Car that had 4 new batteries last spring. Somehow the batteries were left connected over the winter and two of the batteries are damaged.

The cart is located at our remote cabin and a friend has advised us that over the winter 2 of the batteries froze and cracked. I expect the remaining two batteries that didn't crack will be very low in charge.

I am taking up 2 new batteries that I assume will have some charge in them from the supplier.

Should I bring the charge up in the 2 older batteries with my 12 volt charger before hooking them all together and then using the 48 volt charger to charge all 4 together? If so, at what rate should I charge them up?

Appreciate any advise.
Canuck12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-31-2017, 06:53 AM   #2
Seaquell
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: How to charge with 2 of 4 new batteries?

Charge each old batt. Separate At a high rate till charged then put them all in and charge like normal.
Be aware that if the old batteries froze they are probably bad
Seaquell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:55 AM   #3
Kashmir
Gone Wild
Club Car

Yes, use your 12 volt auto charger to get the two batteries up to as close to full charge as possible. Then hook up your cart charger. Hopefully the two remaining batts are going to be ok...

I made it a habit to charge my 12 volt US batteries with an automotive charger about once every two months, just to keep them equalized. Of course my 12 volt batteries are from 2012, so on their last leg this season anyway.

I will be switching those to six 8 volt batteries this off season like I did for my precedent last off season.
Kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:10 AM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

If Your cart is a Sepex, always put it on Tow for long term storage as it reduces the current drain.

Also, even though fully charged batteries will not freeze until well below -80F, it takes approximately 5 discharge/charge cycles for newly added water to fully mix with the existing electrolyte.

If You had just added water to the batteries prior to storage, the water would have concentrated at the top of the cells where it would easily freeze.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:57 AM   #5
Canuck12345
Not Yet Wild

Thanks all for the valuable advise.
Canuck12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car