lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-05-2017, 03:11 PM   #1
GBLGBL
Not Yet Wild

Default Best Way to Center DS Steering Wheel

I have a 2002 Club Car DS that I have manage to get both the camber & toe in set. Only problem is that now the top of my steering wheel sits at 3 o'clock or 45 degrees to right. What's the best way to correct this, preferably without taking off steering wheel? Make adjustment to tie rod coming out of rack?
GBLGBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-05-2017, 03:54 PM   #2
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Default Re: Best Way to Center DS Steering Wheel

If you adjust the rod coming out of the rack you're going to adjust the turning radius. Turn it one way and it'll turn further left and turn it the other way and it'll turn further right. If you go too far with it, you're going to lose full range in one direction. The only way to correctly adjust this on a DS is to either remove the steering wheel, or drop the steering box and pull the knuckle off of it and reposition it.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 03:57 PM   #3
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

With your wheels straight turn the wheel to the right until it stops. Turn back to straight and turn it to the left. You will see it turns more to the left if I'm thinking correctly. You can adjust this buy turning the turn buckle that comes out of the rack until the steering wheel is at 12 o'clock with the wheels straight. The wheel should move 1-1/2 turns each way or close to that.

It took me 3 minutes to type this it seems
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 05:56 PM   #4
GBLGBL
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys, just check radius both ways. Get 1 1/2 turns to right, but only 1 1/4 to left. I will assume that I need to adust rack tin rod to correct?
Old 07-05-2017, 05:57 PM   #5
GBLGBL
Not Yet Wild

That would be rack tie rod not tin
Old 07-05-2017, 09:09 PM   #6
GBLGBL
Not Yet Wild

Got everything straight. Thanks again guys!
Old 07-06-2017, 10:30 AM   #7
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBLGBL View Post
That would be rack tie rod not tin
To be clear the rod we are talking about is this one AND there is a jam nut on both ends and the rod threads both left and right to pull the joint closer together or push it apart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rod.jpg (122.3 KB, 0 views)
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 02:20 PM   #8
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
If you adjust the rod coming out of the rack you're going to adjust the turning radius. Turn it one way and it'll turn further left and turn it the other way and it'll turn further right. If you go too far with it, you're going to lose full range in one direction. The only way to correctly adjust this on a DS is to either remove the steering wheel, or drop the steering box and pull the knuckle off of it and reposition it.
that is the best answer

... be advised that removing the steering wheel is a pain in the butt
Old 07-07-2017, 04:49 PM   #9
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Note- If you pull the steering wheel, here is the method I use (not as harsh as dropping the differential on the concrete) but still a little brutal too.

Take off the cap, break the nut loose and remove, shoot just a small amount of quality penetrating oil on shaft, reattach the nut and secure by a few threads (just to insure it doesn't fly off) and stand over the steering wheel gripping it firmly at 3 and 9 (or where the most support is casted into it) and then give it a very hard and firm JERK UP towards your chest just as you would a reverse plate press at the gym. Now I am 6'1" 235 so I know I have a good amount of strength, but this technique has worked with female friends and neighbors with no problem. I have never had a problem this way and never had to use a puller.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car