lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-03-2017, 01:36 PM   #11
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Default Re: question about Vanguard engine interchange

Well, sounds like time to replace. I haven't shopped engines for a long time but maybe go ahead and go bigger. If the cart came with the Vanguard, which it sounds like it did then one of the main things to look for is the charging circuit output on your new one. I would look for the 16 amp regulated circuit and you should be able to buy one with electric start but without the key setup already on it. Also, you won't need a muffler or gas tank so you may need to call a few places to get that information.
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-03-2017, 02:05 PM   #12
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Check these guys out. Long time site sponsor and excellent to deal with.....

https://www.cartpartsplus.com/perfor...23-hp-vanguard
Old 08-03-2017, 03:41 PM   #13
frankysfree
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Problem with that is that its more money than the 16hp engines ive seen plus you said the pulley on the cvt will need changed as well as the exhaust to fit it.... I see $$$$$ adding up... lol. I didnt see a 16hp on that site you linked or id see about giving them some business.
frankysfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 04:38 PM   #14
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

OK, I get that you want to go with the stock replacement and not a larger motor.
Option 1: If your existing motor has a tapered shaft we will assume its 1:10 30mm taper and that is what taper your existing clutch is. Remove the clutch and measure the length and make sure that is what the length is on the new motor so you don't have any alignment issues with your driven clutch. And again i would look for something with a 16 amp regulated charging circuit in the new one.

Option 2: Buy a motor with a 1" straight shaft and a new clutch. The benefits are in the clutch, as your existing one is probably worn anyway and you can get them already set up for cart use. Both CPP and Vegas Carts sell them.

Can you adapt a straight shaft motor for your old clutch? You bet. Another $50 for the adapter and the possibility of having to cut and re-drill the crankshaft bolt hole deeper. And no key-way so if the adapter starts spinning on the shaft your toast. I would spring for the extra $200 bucks for a better clutch, but up to you.

Hope this helps you out, please ask more questions as they come up,
Old 08-03-2017, 04:51 PM   #15
beater cart
Gone Wild

http://www.ebay.com/itm/16hp-v-twin-...-/162613418823
beater cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:34 PM   #16
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Another very different option would be to either a standard honda clone or a Vegascart 460. It might take a little work but either would be a brand new engine for a lot less money. P.S. I just looked on line. One idea would be to use the lifan 190F-BDQ-C that is 15 HP and has a built in charging system that produces 18 amps and is electrically started. I found it a Menard's on line for $459 delivered. There might be better prices elsewhere.
raydhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:56 PM   #17
frankysfree
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by beater cart View Post
I saw that but "local pickup only, no shipping". They are in Wisconsin and Im in Texas....
Old 08-03-2017, 05:59 PM   #18
frankysfree
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintrock View Post
OK, I get that you want to go with the stock replacement and not a larger motor.
Option 1: If your existing motor has a tapered shaft we will assume its 1:10 30mm taper and that is what taper your existing clutch is. Remove the clutch and measure the length and make sure that is what the length is on the new motor so you don't have any alignment issues with your driven clutch. And again i would look for something with a 16 amp regulated charging circuit in the new one.

Option 2: Buy a motor with a 1" straight shaft and a new clutch. The benefits are in the clutch, as your existing one is probably worn anyway and you can get them already set up for cart use. Both CPP and Vegas Carts sell them.

Can you adapt a straight shaft motor for your old clutch? You bet. Another $50 for the adapter and the possibility of having to cut and re-drill the crankshaft bolt hole deeper. And no key-way so if the adapter starts spinning on the shaft your toast. I would spring for the extra $200 bucks for a better clutch, but up to you.

Hope this helps you out, please ask more questions as they come up,
Thanks for the tips. I guess my first order of business is to pull off the cvt cover and see what shaft it is so I can make a more informed decision and then go from there. Money is the main concern and I just need it to run again with the least amount of it... lol
Old 08-03-2017, 06:01 PM   #19
frankysfree
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
Another very different option would be to either a standard honda clone or a Vegascart 460. It might take a little work but either would be a brand new engine for a lot less money. P.S. I just looked on line. One idea would be to use the lifan 190F-BDQ-C that is 15 HP and has a built in charging system that produces 18 amp and is electrically started. I found it a Menard's on line for $459 delivered. There might be better prices elsewhere.
Hmmm. That 15hp one is an option. Dont really want to modify stuff and If I get away from the 14/16hp engines Ill have to change exhaust which is more money but if Im saving $500 on the engine then thats doable.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:03 PM   #20
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

You might not have to add an exhaust.In some carts people are able to just use the muffler that is on the engine. The bigger question is the clutch.The clone has a 1" straight shaft and the easiest way is to use the comet 780. Of course if your clutch is the 1" straight shaft again that is simple. If is tapered as mentioned above an adapter is available but will probably require cutting and tapping the crankshaft. Another option is to tear apart your present engine and determine what is wrong with it.
raydhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car