lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-02-2017, 10:36 AM   #1
bradbates
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Club Car DS oil sending unit

Newbie to wrenching on these things. I've driven hundreds of miles on golf courses but this is the first one I've owned and she's a peach. 1987 Club Car DS. I'm working on the wiring and the low oil light is inoperative. Digging into it there wasn't even a wire from the sending unit to the light in the dash. I figure on a 30 year old cart I better have a working low oil light. I tested the light and it will not light so I will be getting a new one of those today. I have the piece that goes on the block ordered. It's not really a sending/pressure sensor but more like a pass through for the electrical wires that attach. My main question is how does this thing work. The unit attached to the block has a wire that hooks to it on the inside and of course the wire on the outside to the light. Does this thing have a float or something in the crankcase? The wire coming out of the crankcase has very little slack so no room for error.

Thanks for listening, Brad
bradbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-02-2017, 01:56 PM   #2
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: Club Car DS oil sending unit

Hey Brad, welcome to the forum. The dashboard oil light on your '87 is simply an oil level indicator. When the oil level gets too low and uncovers the sensor in the block (which is where the yellow wire should plug in on the lower passenger side of the motor), it comes on. Mine will sometimes also come on if I'm driving on a steep embankment. Your '87 cart has a KF82 flathead motor, and there's no oil pump and no oil pressure to worry about. The engine oils itself via a splasher tab that's bolted to the bottom of the connecting rod. The tab dips in and out of the oil in the bottom of the motor and splashes it throughout the crankcase, and that's how your motor stays lubricated.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 02:00 PM   #3
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Here's your wiring diagram. The oil light wires are yellow:

Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:21 AM   #4
bradbates
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thank you! I wasn't sure if it worked off a float, sensor, just exactly what is inside the crankcase attached to that little wire that barely pokes out the hole. When I got the cart I discovered not only the wire was completely missing from the oil sending unit to the dash the low oil light was inoperative as well. New wire is ran to a new oil light and all is good! No telling what else I will find as I dig into the old girl. Previous owner had used lamp cord for some of the wiring! Seriously! 110v two wire lamp cord.
bradbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car