lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-03-2018, 10:13 PM   #1
BuggieMaverick
Not Yet Wild

Default Bypassing neutral safety on 84 DS

I have an '84 DS. It has the original style service switch mounted on the frame, and the cart won't run in neutral unless the switch is flipped. I'm in the middle of a clone swap but keeping the pedal start/stop and ignition kill wiring. I've always wished to be able to easily warm up the engine in neutral on cold days without having to get off to lift the seat to flip the service switch. Now I'd like to have that ability even more.

Is there an easy conversion I can do to bypass the neutral safety?
BuggieMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-03-2018, 11:27 PM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default re: Bypassing neutral safety on 84 DS

If you post the question in the gas Club Car section people can help.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 05:27 AM   #3
BuggieMaverick
Not Yet Wild

Wow, I have no idea why I clicked on this section. I thought I was in gas Club Car. I couldn't have gotten any further from it.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:15 AM   #4
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

However, there is an easy answer to your question: splice together the 2 wires that go to the shifter micro switch that the knob actuates (the one closest to the engine). I believe they are a white wire and a green wire. Then it will allow starting in any shifter position.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...-diagrams.html
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:09 AM   #5
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Moved!
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:55 AM   #6
BuggieMaverick
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
However, there is an easy answer to your question: splice together the 2 wires that go to the shifter micro switch that the knob actuates (the one closest to the engine). I believe they are a white wire and a green wire. Then it will allow starting in any shifter position.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...-diagrams.html
I don't remember having micro switches on the shifter, but I'll take a look. The '84-'85 specific diagram is showing the neutral lockout being mounted on the transmission, which matches what my Club Car has. For the swap, I have my shifter cable disconnected from the shifter while my body is off and it still knows when it's in neutral.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:00 AM   #7
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: Bypassing neutral safety on 84 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggieMaverick View Post
I don't remember having micro switches on the shifter, but I'll take a look. The '84-'85 specific diagram is showing the neutral lockout being mounted on the transmission, which matches what my Club Car has. For the swap, I have my shifter cable disconnected from the shifter while my body is off and it still knows when it's in neutral.
Yes I believe you're correct, the 1984-85 neutral lockout is different than 1986-up units. I'm in process of making a color version of the 1984-85 wiring diagram but I don't know the colors on many of the wires, including most of the wires going in and out of that neutral lockout switch (wires labeled with letters):

Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:38 AM   #8
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Below is a post from another member a few weeks ago who gave me these colors. Can you confirm if these colors are accurate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzaguy View Post
Wires A & B from neutral switch are both dark green. C is black. D- I am unsure. E is light green. F is orange. G is green.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:57 PM   #9
BuggieMaverick
Not Yet Wild

I'll look later tonight and report back. Any idea which wires I can jumper or disconnect to remove the neutral lockout, or if it's even possible?
Old 06-06-2018, 12:19 AM   #10
BuggieMaverick
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
Below is a post from another member a few weeks ago who gave me these colors. Can you confirm if these colors are accurate?
I'll have to check further when I have more time. There were two dark greens come from the lockout switch, but I didn't have time to chase the wires to confirm where they went.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car