lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-07-2018, 11:17 PM   #11
HaulnA$$
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Help smoked my wire harness

@Bluetick .....What were the specs on the light you used? If the bulb was not rated for 48Vdc, which it likely wasn’t, that would explain what happened. The bulb blew and shorted then took the wire with it. No fuse.
HaulnA$$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-08-2018, 12:11 AM   #12
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaulnA$$ View Post
@Bluetick .....What were the specs on the light you used? If the bulb was not rated for 48Vdc, which it likely wasn’t, that would explain what happened. The bulb blew and shorted then took the wire with it. No fuse.
Not quite, If the bulb burned out it would open the circuit. The bulb would act as the fuse. Bulb burns, current stops, which means no melty wires.

If Using a 12v bulb, the bulb IS the short, since that generally would be a low resistance bulb. Low resistance = high current. At 50V you could potentially have 30 amps trying to move through the circuit, depending on the bulb. 30 amps through those tiny wires, lots of magic smoke escaping.

It's either that, or the wire got pinched against the frame behind the switch panel.

Sucks that it burned up the whole harness. But on the bright side... Now's a good time to upgrade!
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 06:15 AM   #13
Bluetick
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Gonna look at the controller route was looking at the wiring harness for the iqs last night buthat was under impression that it didn't come with all the wiring to go to the forward reverse
Bluetick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 01:20 PM   #14
Bluetick
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Followed the burnt wires all morning looking better than first thought most of the wires just have insulation melted on them from the shorted wires hoping can salvage if not guess it's down the rabbit hole of after market controllers and harness which is where I know I will eventually end up at just wasn't wanting to do it right now thanks for encouraging me through my melt down
Old 09-08-2018, 01:34 PM   #15
Bluetick
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Yes light was not 48v rated was 120 saved from other project figured would be fine just light dim guess I was wrong lesson learned
Old 09-08-2018, 10:17 PM   #16
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetick View Post
Gonna look at the controller route was looking at the wiring harness for the iqs last night buthat was under impression that it didn't come with all the wiring to go to the forward reverse
It is a complete harness. You will need a MCOR and Run/Tow switch, but call David and let him tell you everything and maybe be able to help you out....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car