lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-01-2018, 09:38 AM   #1
kfortier5
Not Yet Wild

Default Battery Tray Corrosion -- Replace or not?

I've read some prior posts on replacing the aluminum angles in the tray, so I have a decent understanding of the process. My gut tells me some of mine need to be replaced... but I don't have a pop rivet gun, so i'd like to avoid replacement, if possible. Can anyone comment on the condition of the pieces in these two photos? The corners are in decent shape, but the middle towards the hold down rods looks pretty bad.

If you do recommend replacement, can you share your thoughts on removing the cross sections? They are welded on top of the frame, so I'm wondering if anyone has had experience prying them off instead of cutting them out.

Thanks, as always.

PS: I inherited this cart and plan to take much better care of it to prevent this mess in the future!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Center Battery Frame.jpg (176.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Passenger Battery Frame.jpg (201.9 KB, 0 views)
kfortier5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-01-2018, 09:44 AM   #2
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Battery Tray Corrosion -- Replace or not?

If it were me, I'd replace them. You may get by for a while as is, but I wouldn't trust it.

You could drill and bolt the new angle in, instead of rivet.
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 10:51 AM   #3
kfortier5
Not Yet Wild

Thanks BBB. I've already hauled the batteries out, so I think you're right. Might as well do it.

For bolting, I guess i have to countersink so the batteries have a nice flat space to sit on. The angle is only 1/8" thick. So I need to find an aluminum bolt with a low-profile head.... any thoughts on that? Not seeing anything on the home depot site that would work. I'm new the world of specialty hardware, so not sure where to look.
kfortier5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:21 AM   #4
hipower
Getting Wild
Club Car

Finding aluminum hardware could be an issue. I would use stainless, which is readily available.
hipower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 01:46 PM   #5
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

If you can get your hands on a pressure washer I think it would clean things up pretty good. Then you'll know more about what you have. Be careful to keep the water out of electronics and switches.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 02:46 PM   #6
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipower View Post
Finding aluminum hardware could be an issue. I would use stainless, which is readily available.
I agree with hipower, stainless will work with aluminum.
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 03:03 PM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Yeah those need to be replaced.

I did a bunch a few years ago and I just cut them in the center with a sawzall, then twisted and pried the welds apart. To flatten down what was left of the welds I used small sanding disc on a die grinder.

I riveted mine back in, but if you don't have access to a riveter use stainless hardware.
If you use 3/16" aluminum you'll have more depth of material to be able to countersink the screw heads.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 03:13 PM   #8
sunnydays
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I am in the process of doing this right now. My battery tray had actually broken and the batteries were tipped in on each other and that's what stopped them from falling. We have a hardware supply store here that carries various metals and I actually found 1 1/2 by 1/8 inch thick aluminum angle. I cut them to length today and will weld them in tomorrow. As far as removing the old ones I just took a reciprocating saw and cut all the battery tray framework out. Then I used a air powered cut off wheel and cut the welds out best I could where it was attached to the frame. Lastly I used an air chisel in the grooves the cutoff wheel left and the metal popped right off. Just a matter of grinding the welds flat and ready to reassemble. Hope this helps. Make sure to get all your measurements and make yourself a diagram before dismantling.
sunnydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 05:26 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Welding the battery trays makes a good repair if you can get past the corrosion the just keeps coming into the weld from the dirty aluminum.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 07:31 PM   #10
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

I bet a carriage bolt would sit flat enough to not cause any issues with the batteries sitting properly.
golf cart man is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car