lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-12-2018, 03:50 PM   #1
Madamx
Not Yet Wild

Default Wiring help/check 1985 club car

Hello folks, first off thanks for the help! Ok so I have scoured the forums to find wiring diagrams for a 1985 club car, I’m learning as I go along basically lol so I have no previous experience or knowledge just to throw that out there. I tried to hook everything up as best as I could to the diagram I found, when I push the gas pedal it sounds like it wants to go, I hear a click and some other noise that sounds like it’s gonna move. But it doesn’t budge, forward or reverse nothing but the click and some other noise I can’t describe heh. Just sounds like a “gonna go” sound but never moves. I labeled stuff in the pics to what I have it going to as far as the motor. I read about a test with a voltage meter putting the positive probe on the forward post and the negative on the charger receptacle negative post and I should get 36v? I “think” I put it on the forward post and I was only getting 25v, I may have done it wrong but I just wanted to throw that out there in case it’s relevent. So I’m not sure I have it wired correctly Thank you for any help!
Madamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-12-2018, 04:05 PM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Wiring help/check 1985 club car

You power cables to the FNR are not in the correct location.

The 36v positive wire from the charger receptacle and the wire that powers the micro-switch inside the speed box need to be on the same post as the cable that goes to the +36v pack positive.

You basically need to swap the 2 cables on the bottom of the FNR, leave the small wires where they are.

This is how it should be wired (click on the picture for the larger version):

Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:40 PM   #3
Roxyflash
Gone Wild
Club Car

There right according to wire schematics for different years.When you first step on the throttle it fires up the first solenoid take and jump the main cable negative from the first solenoid to the buss bar see if it drives it takes all the current every time you drive and are know to fail
Roxyflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:36 PM   #4
Madamx
Not Yet Wild

Thank you! I’ll give that a try and report back. Thanks a ton!
Old 12-13-2018, 01:31 PM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Please make the change, Your wiring is not correct to any cart year.

You do not apply the 36v from the charger receptacle to the 24v battery position.

You also don't run your solenoids from the 24v position either.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:39 PM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madamx View Post
Thank you! I’ll give that a try and report back. Thanks a ton!
I know I am chiming in late, but with no disrespects to the one member's suggestion, I am not sure what he is referencing as that is in no way correct.

The picture (and explanation in Post #2) by Sergio is correct and a simple fix. If you get this done tonight, you will be riding shortly there after. There is no other way it will work as you will not have the required voltage at the correct terminal(s).
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 04:45 PM   #7
Madamx
Not Yet Wild

Ok so I unhooked the red cable from right side and from my #1 battery then the blue cable off and switched it over to the right side. Hooked red to left side and reconnected it to battery positive and sparks flew lol. Luckily I got to keep my eyebrows but scared the bejesus out of me lol.. Did I change the wrong ones
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B21FEAA4-3283-4E8B-A11E-19BA96AE1341.jpg (198.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-13-2018, 04:59 PM   #8
Madamx
Not Yet Wild

I’m thinking I might not have had the bolt tight(I’m assuming this could cause the sparks), but until I know I understood and have it right from the pic I’ll wait to try again lol it kinda ate into the terminal a tad. I had a redneck welding gun for a minute there lol
Old 12-13-2018, 05:08 PM   #9
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

That all looks correct, with the FNR is Neutral that was no electrical path to anything.

What terminal got a little burnt, the battery post?

Are You sure You did not accidentally touched another location?

Post another photo showing the entire battery bay again, but that wiring on the FNR is correct now.

Look at those yellow wires as well and make sure they go where that picture I posted indicates.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:01 PM   #10
Roxyflash
Gone Wild
Club Car

A1 goes to rotary terminal on right S1 goes to terminal on right lug two bottom lugs left is 36 volt right bottom is 24 volt left rotary from passenger solenoid I own two of these carts that’s the way they come stock you can wire the fordward reverse switch where S1 is jumped across both bottom lugs battery positive is wired to the side lug left rotary lug goes to solenoid right rotary goes to A1 this setup will give you full voltage forward and reverse look at any older 1982 tru 1990 wiring you will see that’s how there wired looks like 24 and 36 on bottom are switched Sergio is correct
Roxyflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car