lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-19-2018, 03:41 PM   #1
CV4Golf
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default S2 motor cable overheating

Hi,

I have been working on a 1992 club car 36V resistor coil cart. It has a high speed motor (brand unknown). I upgraded all of the motor/v-glide/forward reverse switch cables to 6 gauge. I also put in a new v-glide, solenoid and forward/reverse switch assembly. The cable running from the S2 motor terminal to battery 6 neg. gets dangerously hot. You can even smell it while driving the cart. This is at full throttle, which I thought should dissipate the heat. I also have my reducer connected to the same battery terminal along with the fuse wire. I believe this all to be correct set-up? Is it that the upgraded motor is too much for a resistor coil set-up, and I need to convert to a controller? Or could it be as simple as switching out to a 4 gauge cable?

Thank You for any suggestions.
CV4Golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-19-2018, 04:22 PM   #2
bobbycason
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: S2 motor cable overheating

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV4Golf View Post
Hi,

I have been working on a 1992 club car 36V resistor coil cart. It has a high speed motor (brand unknown). I upgraded all of the motor/v-glide/forward reverse switch cables to 6 gauge. I also put in a new v-glide, solenoid and forward/reverse switch assembly. The cable running from the S2 motor terminal to battery 6 neg. gets dangerously hot. You can even smell it while driving the cart. This is at full throttle, which I thought should dissipate the heat. I also have my reducer connected to the same battery terminal along with the fuse wire. I believe this all to be correct set-up? Is it that the upgraded motor is too much for a resistor coil set-up, and I need to convert to a controller? Or could it be as simple as switching out to a 4 gauge cable?

Thank You for any suggestions.
What order are your terminals on the battery post?
bobbycason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 04:34 PM   #3
CV4Golf
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Fuse on bottom, reducer in middle, motor cable on top.

Saw where you were going with that question. Changed order to largest to smallest terminal connections beginning with the motor/battery cable on the bottom. Works perfect now.

Thank You!

Last edited by CV4Golf; 12-19-2018 at 07:44 PM.. Reason: Issue Resolved
CV4Golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 08:36 AM   #4
bobbycason
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV4Golf View Post
Fuse on bottom, reducer in middle, motor cable on top.

Saw where you were going with that question. Changed order to largest to smallest terminal connections beginning with the motor/battery cable on the bottom. Works perfect now.

Thank You!
Yeah the way you had them before with the smaller wires between the battery and motor cable was creating a smaller contact area which equals more resistance.
bobbycason is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car