lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-21-2019, 12:19 PM   #11
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Hunting Buggy Build. Help appreciated!!!

Glad you are enjoying your upgrades. It’s pretty amazing what these carts can do with the right gear, and it’s a lot of fun.

Johnnieb certainly doesn’t need me to defend him, but I just wanted to throw something out there in case you decide to stick around this forum. He is one of a handful of guys on here that are pretty much irreplaceable. I tell guys that when he gets on your thread, stay with him because he always gets to the bottom of the issue. He’s a really smart guy who really knows what he is talking about. I read this thing all the time, and I honestly don’t know that I’ve ever seen him be wrong. He’ll get pretty deep sometimes (you saw his avatar, right?) but you can learn a lot by reading his threads.

Again, glad you are enjoying your upgraded cart.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-21-2019, 02:39 PM   #12
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeman6 View Post
Glad you are enjoying your upgrades. It’s pretty amazing what these carts can do with the right gear, and it’s a lot of fun.

Johnnieb certainly doesn’t need me to defend him, but I just wanted to throw something out there in case you decide to stick around this forum. He is one of a handful of guys on here that are pretty much irreplaceable. I tell guys that when he gets on your thread, stay with him because he always gets to the bottom of the issue. He’s a really smart guy who really knows what he is talking about. I read this thing all the time, and I honestly don’t know that I’ve ever seen him be wrong. He’ll get pretty deep sometimes (you saw his avatar, right?) but you can learn a lot by reading his threads.

Ditto on everything mentioned above.

And glad your cart's performing so well on the extra voltage, but understand; this hobby is addictive.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 03:23 PM   #13
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Unhappy Re: Hunting Buggy Build. Help appreciated!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeman6 View Post

LOL, yes, JohnnieB is waayy above my pay grade! BUT, I do read his posts and have gotten a lot of good information from him....although more has gone so far over my head that I couldn't hint at what he was talking about. I figure that if I keep reading his posts, maybe some of his knowledge will accidently make me smarter and has at least made me aware that I don't know as much as what I thought I did...

Good luck with that upgrade, keep us posted on the progress.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 03:44 PM   #14
MyCousinVinnie
Gone Wild
Club Car

I actually did this conversion - albeit in a 36 volt club car to a 48 volt system. I then lifted it 4" and put on 22" tires with 10" rims.

It's too late for you, as it was to me, but in hindsight, I wish I had stuck to 6 8 volts instead of 8 six volts. Why? Weight over the rear axle. Once lifted, and once I added rear seat, my stock motor wasn't long for this world. Also, the two rear batteries were a pain in the buttocks to maintain. Also, in a hunting cart, the additional weight of two more batteries makes a difference when going through mud, etc.

That was a long time ago now, and I'm now doing a lithium conversion, but if I were you, I would watch the temperature of the motor. I would not put on wheels larger than 22 (23 may be OK). And, importantly, I would go ahead and start saving up for a heavy duty torque motor. I got mine from Plum Quick, and it's been fantastic. speed down, but heat not an issue anymore, and really helps climb hills, carry stuff, etc.
MyCousinVinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 01:48 PM   #15
onewheelcop
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCousinVinnie View Post
I actually did this conversion - albeit in a 36 volt club car to a 48 volt system. I then lifted it 4" and put on 22" tires with 10" rims.

It's too late for you, as it was to me, but in hindsight, I wish I had stuck to 6 8 volts instead of 8 six volts. Why? Weight over the rear axle. Once lifted, and once I added rear seat, my stock motor wasn't long for this world. Also, the two rear batteries were a pain in the buttocks to maintain. Also, in a hunting cart, the additional weight of two more batteries makes a difference when going through mud, etc.

That was a long time ago now, and I'm now doing a lithium conversion, but if I were you, I would watch the temperature of the motor. I would not put on wheels larger than 22 (23 may be OK). And, importantly, I would go ahead and start saving up for a heavy duty torque motor. I got mine from Plum Quick, and it's been fantastic. speed down, but heat not an issue anymore, and really helps climb hills, carry stuff, etc.
Thank so much for replying. I have zero issues with anyone "helping me", if I know, that they know what they're talking about. LOL .
I have many Hobbies from Adventure motorcycling, Restoring RV's, too hot rod trucks.. I have been on dozens of different forums over the years and one thing is all to common, The "Keyboard Jockey". They have done it more, greater, and better than you ever could, all while never leaving they're computer screen. No disrespect to anyone who posted on this thread but rather the opposite. Thank you for knowledge even if it went way over my head!!. After hearing of JohnnieB's High regards on here, i will use his advise without caution. I hope no one blames me for having reservations on taking advise. I was just gun shy from All the other Forums.
I got the lift installed yesterday, and i am having the tires installed tomorrow.. I did install a volt meter and noticed that it went from 50.9v to 50.7v in 4 days of sitting in my shed off the charger. I guess thats normal? really not sure! I will post pix of the completed project hopefully by this weekend.
onewheelcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 02:29 PM   #16
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Yes, dropping from 50.9 to 50.7 volts is normal. Lead acid batteries self discharge and best practice is to keep your batteries on the charger if the carts not in use. This along with proper maintenance will allow a longer battery life
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 06:35 PM   #17
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewheelcop View Post
Thank so much for replying. I have zero issues with anyone "helping me", if I know, that they know what they're talking about. LOL .
I have many Hobbies from Adventure motorcycling, Restoring RV's, too hot rod trucks.. I have been on dozens of different forums over the years and one thing is all to common, The "Keyboard Jockey". They have done it more, greater, and better than you ever could, all while never leaving they're computer screen. No disrespect to anyone who posted on this thread but rather the opposite. Thank you for knowledge even if it went way over my head!!. After hearing of JohnnieB's High regards on here, i will use his advise without caution. I hope no one blames me for having reservations on taking advise. I was just gun shy from All the other Forums.
I got the lift installed yesterday, and i am having the tires installed tomorrow.. I did install a volt meter and noticed that it went from 50.9v to 50.7v in 4 days of sitting in my shed off the charger. I guess thats normal? really not sure! I will post pix of the completed project hopefully by this weekend.
Trust, but verify. We all screw up occasionally, but there are a few fact checkers on-line that typically catch most of the errors.

Lead-acid golf cart batteries typically self-discharge at about 1% SoC per day. Your pack went from 100% SoC to 95% SoC in four days, so it is behaving a bit better than average.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:28 AM   #18
onewheelcop
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Trust, but verify. We all screw up occasionally, but there are a few fact checkers on-line that typically catch most of the errors.

Lead-acid golf cart batteries typically self-discharge at about 1% SoC per day. Your pack went from 100% SoC to 95% SoC in four days, so it is behaving a bit better than average.
Thank you for the info. I got the 23" tires mounted yesterday, and the tire shop told me that my new tires " Wanda ATV Tires, Bighorn style 23x7x10" didn't bead like they should. he said he could simply push the tires over the the bead on the wheel with no need for air pressure to "pop" the tire on. he said i couldn't run the suggested 5psi because it would pull the tire off the bead? Does this sound normal? I have never had this issue, however i know i will never run that low of air pressure. The tires are for an ATV that on average would weigh approx 250lbs-300lbs " ish ". My cart probably weighs around 1000lbs so according to the tires i just changed I will need to run around 20psi just to keep them from bulging like they're flat. So i don't see it as problem but let me know what you guys think. Will i need tubes?
Old 10-31-2019, 08:34 AM   #19
onewheelcop
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPW View Post
Yes, dropping from 50.9 to 50.7 volts is normal. Lead acid batteries self discharge and best practice is to keep your batteries on the charger if the carts not in use. This along with proper maintenance will allow a longer battery life
I had to buy a new Smart Charger for that reason. I didn't know that as of a couple years ago Chargers didn't maintain the battery, only charged them. Then shut off until you disconnected the charger and then plugged it back up.
So $315 later i now have a Accusense Smart Charger.
Old 11-04-2019, 05:19 PM   #20
onewheelcop
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Any help would be appreciated. Less than 10 miles on this new build in my buggy shuts down when Trying to climb a steep grade. I was attempting to drive my cart up an ATV trail to get to my water box. It is very very steep to say the least. However I had done this two times earlier this week. The buggy spun out twice and the front end kept coming up like it was going to flip, and would have flipped had I not got off the Excelerator. So when I say it steep I mean it severely steep. As I was attempting to climb up the steepest part I spun out, but then when I tried to apply the throttle and tried again it instantly shut off and lost all power. The controller is not warm the bottom plug on the Ford reverse switch was just a little warm but nothing out of the ordinary. No wires on the motor wasn’t hot and this is a all tracks SR 48600 controller with less than 10 miles on the build. It seemed after I let it cool off about 2 to 3 minutes it would move again, but only for a short while and then it would shut back off again. I have read on here that that sounds like the controller going bad, however it’s a brand new $700 controller. Any help would be Greatly appreciated thank you

Tags
suggestions?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO