lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-11-2009, 05:41 PM   #1
Drewskii
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Jerky Take-off

I've just finished off cleaning up this cart (2001 DS) after having it stolen, driven off a twenty foot quarry cliff and submerged in forty feet of water for three days. All electrical componets have been dried out, contacts cleaned up, replaced a waterlogged Motor Control Unit and batteries operating at about 98 %. It runs great and everything is working fine except it takes off to fast when you begin to accelerate. Once the cart is moving it accelerates smoothly. Any ideas what I need to replace now ?
Drewskii is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-12-2009, 10:46 AM   #2
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Default Re: Jerky Take-off

How long have U had it running ?
Im thinking there may be risidual moisture in some parts which will work itself out after
a spell .

Dang good job getting it running again and Welcome to BGW
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:51 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Check out the MCOR. I have a gd used one if needed.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 01:08 PM   #4
Drewskii
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks, but I have allowed this thing to dry out for 4 months and should have stated that...sorry. Now for the MCOR. Forgive my ignorance but I assume that is the unit attached to the accelerator pedal. If so, that is what I meant by motor control unit. If I could get my hands on a electrical schematic drawing I could probably make sense. I'm just wondering if the resistor attached to the solenoid may be corroded internally and if so would it cause this problem. Any advice is appreciated
Old 11-12-2009, 02:29 PM   #5
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Resistance is resistance , measure with ohm meter if it measures correct then it should be OK !
Old 11-12-2009, 03:42 PM   #6
Drewskii
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I guess I have to make the big investment buying a Clubcar repair manual to get those specifications.

Thanks Gary
Old 11-13-2009, 10:12 AM   #7
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Hey Drew a CC Service/Maintenance manual is always a good investment when owning a cart.
They generally cover multiple years and both the Gas and Electric made in those years.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:10 PM   #8
Drewskii
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I tested the the resistor with an ohm meter and compared it with a new one and it showed it was working fine. I once again grab my voltmeter and started a continuity test through the entire electrical system. It all seemed to point to spending $600 on a new controller and tossing my budget out the window for the lift kit and tires I had my heart set on. Ironically I found my self standing in line with some car mechanic at a local hardware store and started boring the guy to death with my golf cart story. Before I could finish the guy says to me " I hope you replaced the resistor across the solenoid cause the those 9volt battery ohm meters really can't re-create a 48 volt operating system"........Yep ,one $5 dollar resistor -one smooth running golf cart. :thumbup

Drewskii is going to pimp his ride pictures to follow.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:13 AM   #9
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewskii View Post
I tested the the resistor with an ohm meter and compared it with a new one and it showed it was working fine. I once again grab my voltmeter and started a continuity test through the entire electrical system. It all seemed to point to spending $600 on a new controller and tossing my budget out the window for the lift kit and tires I had my heart set on. Ironically I found my self standing in line with some car mechanic at a local hardware store and started boring the guy to death with my golf cart story. Before I could finish the guy says to me " I hope you replaced the resistor across the solenoid cause the those 9volt battery ohm meters really can't re-create a 48 volt operating system"........Yep ,one $5 dollar resistor -one smooth running golf cart. :thumbup

Drewskii is going to pimp his ride pictures to follow.
Drew I find this interesting , since I have never heard of a resistor which breaks down under load , they useually burn up or continue to work .
Which resistor was it (connected where) and what is it's Vlaue ?

Good Work
Old 11-15-2009, 01:55 PM   #10
Drewskii
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Gary its the resistor that runs between the large positive and negative terminals of the solenoid. It is wrapped with a see-through plastic tube. The positive side of the solenoid is hooked to the positive side of the battery pack and the negative runs to the controller. I checked the old one (resistor) and peeled the plastic wrapper off. There is corrosion around the wires coming out and it seems to be crumbling like chalk on one end. If this is a fluke let me know because I don't want to end up having to deal with this problem again after dishing out money for tires and a lift kit.

By the way thank you for all your help up til now. This web site forum is a wealth of knowledge.

Tags
2001 clubcar ds, water damage
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car