lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-18-2009, 05:30 PM   #1
yawecar
Not Yet Wild

Default Grease in Rear differential

I have a 97 48V Series Club Car. I have ordered a new motor and controller from D&D, Vic is a huge help and a stand up guy if anyone ever needs some advice on a upgrade.

I removed the motor from the differential and it has grease all over the inside where the splinecomes out. Is this normal. I know you need to put grease on the spline when the motor is installed but this is way more than that. Any help would be appreciated.
yawecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-18-2009, 05:34 PM   #2
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Grease in Rear differential

yawecar, Welcome to BGW!

I'm no CC expert, but can you post a pic of the diff?
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:15 PM   #3
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawecar View Post
I have a 97 48V Series Club Car. I have ordered a new motor and controller from D&D, Vic is a huge help and a stand up guy if anyone ever needs some advice on a upgrade.

I removed the motor from the differential and it has grease all over the inside where the splinecomes out. Is this normal. I know you need to put grease on the spline when the motor is installed but this is way more than that. Any help would be appreciated.
Clean/wipe off the excess grease and LIGHTLY grease the spline for your new motor. There shouldn't be lots of grease but there might be signs of some slung around in the case.
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:02 PM   #4
yawecar
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, I will try to post a pic in the am. It just appeared to be more grease than normal. Do you need to check fluid/grease in the rears end?
This site has been more than helpful in my project.
yawecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:33 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The elec. diff takes 30w motor oil until it pours back out the fill hole Antisieze compound is what should be on the splines
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:13 PM   #6
scubabud

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
The elec. diff takes 30w motor oil until it pours back out the fill hole Antisieze compound is what should be on the splines

This should equate to approximately 22 ounces of 30W oil. The factory uses grease on the spline shaft on assembly and after long periods of time it may wear out/harden and make removing your motor in the future difficult. I used marine axle grease on my spline shaft as well as my steering wheel spline when I pulled it off. I agree that an anti-seize compound would be the ultimate choice if available.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:24 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubabud View Post
This should equate to approximately 22 ounces of 30W oil. The factory uses grease on the spline shaft on assembly and after long periods of time it may wear out/harden and make removing your motor in the future difficult. I used marine axle grease on my spline shaft as well as my steering wheel spline when I pulled it off. I agree that an anti-seize compound would be the ultimate choice if available.
I wish CC and Ez would invest in about 10 cents worth of anti-sieze compound on each cart
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:38 PM   #8
scubabud

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I wish CC and Ez would invest in about 10 cents worth of anti-sieze compound on each cart

Totally agree I was fortunate though since my cart was only a couple years old when I purchased it and the motor came off relatively easy.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:31 AM   #9
golfcarfixer
Gone Wild

Club Car

I Had A Few That I Ruined The Motor Trying To Get It Off.it Was Seized To The Spline.
golfcarfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car