lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-02-2009, 06:22 PM   #1
Whiskyb
Not Yet Wild

Default Neighbours 84 still dead

So a quick update, my neighbors 84 that I agreed to look at to help get me some new batteries is still dead. i have gone over all the connections and cleaned or replaced cables. I found a broken terminal on the 3 lug micro switch down in the throttle control box. It was on the orange wire that runs to the reverse buzzer. Could I have mixed up the wires here. I have the common yellow on the bottom the same as all the rest and the orange is the furthest lug away with the green that goes to the first terminal in the middle. Using my volt meter and going from the first solenoids motor side lug to the fifth solenoids feed lug I get 37V that reverses polarity if I move the F/R switch. Jumping the first solenoid across the two big terminals does nothing.

Anything else I can check, solenoids do not click. Batteries charged. New key switch as well. I love playing with electrical problems but this one is kinda driving me nuts

Thanks again
Whiskyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-02-2009, 06:39 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Neighbours 84 still dead

Try this, think of the solenoid as an electrically activated switch.... the switched terminals are the big ones. There is a contactor inside which when activated by the small terminals connects the large terminals Got it? So you are looking to have positive at 1 small terminal and Negative at the other for this activation to happen and then bang! There is continuity across the big terminals remove either the pos or the neg from 1 of the small terminals and the switch is again opened. Closed = continuity, open = no continuity Closed=on open =off
I hope this helps wipe some of the mystery about solenoids away
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:46 PM   #3
Whiskyb
Not Yet Wild

OK I am getting that part. Across the two small terminals I need positive and a negative to actuate the transfer of power. Does the polarity across those two small terminals change depending on forward or reverse?
Old 12-02-2009, 06:50 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

NO the solenoid activates the same the change is at the motor. Notice there are 4 cables going to the motor? Only 2 are needed to make it turn clockwise or counter.......
Old 12-02-2009, 06:54 PM   #5
Whiskyb
Not Yet Wild

OK cool, its dinner time here and then need to put stuff outside away cause their calling for snow tonight. I will dig into this thing again in the morning and see where I get too. Might be fun to play in the snow if I get it running!
Old 12-02-2009, 07:53 PM   #6
Whiskyb
Not Yet Wild

So I rushed dinner and dragged in the hoses and patio furniture. Spent a few more minutes on the cart and found the yellow wire that runs from the f/r switch to the pedal micro switches had a break in it about halfway along. The insulation was intact but inside it had corroded to the point of no contact. Its such a great feeling when you do finally find out what was wrong. I'll take it for a spin tomorrow to confirm but sure looks good now

Thanks Scotty
Old 12-03-2009, 11:25 AM   #7
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

If the wires are old enough to start corroding inside.
Then work a new deal with him to replace/upgrade wiring ,
It will happen again !
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:48 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmorrison View Post
If the wires are old enough to start corroding inside.
Then work a new deal with him to replace/upgrade wiring ,
It will happen again !
GOOD POINT Garry
Fact #1 = cart is 25 yrs old
fact #2 = if 1 wire is old enough to rot away they all are
Old 12-03-2009, 12:08 PM   #9
Whiskyb
Not Yet Wild

That was kind of what I was thinking this morning. I went for a quick drive down to the mailbox and it is real slow. I only hear 4 clicks when depressing the throttle, first click which is the one I replaced (drivers side) does nothing. Cart starts to move on second click. I think I will replace the other 4 solenoids as they are most likely tired as well. Battery cables are good and 4 gauge about a year or so old. I am charging batt's now in case they were low. Should I hear 5 clicks?
Old 12-03-2009, 12:19 PM   #10
jjones41
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Scotty correct me if i am wrong but he should only get 4 clicks from the pedal depression the 5th(main) solenoid should click on the F/R limit switch so you should be good from the sound of things based on what i understand
jjones41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car