lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-14-2010, 11:23 PM   #1
BigB
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Voltage drop???

I recently installed a digital volt meter in my dash so I can monitor my battery levels. My question is, how much should the voltage drop on take off? A full charge on my batteries reads 38.2V. When I fully depress the pedal on takeoff, it will initially drop to 32V and then rise back up as the speed increases. The faster it gets, and the lesser the load, the higher it will get. It will usually only get back up to 37V will I'm going. After I stop, it will slowly rise back up to around 38V. Just wondering if this is normal or if it indicates weak batteries?
BigB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-15-2010, 09:19 AM   #2
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Voltage drop???

How old are your batterys ? Sounds OK voltage wise, but to confirm battery condition I would do a hydrometer test on each battery cell and see if any cells show up weak. Each cart will vary some depending on many conditions ( batterys, motor, cables, controller, etc ) Look to stickys above for readings confirmation.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:49 AM   #3
FIXEROFCARTS
Gone Wild

dropping to 32 volts is low, but as long as it gets back over 36 volts, your OK. Its when your cruising around and voltage is always 34 volts, then there is concern.
FIXEROFCARTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:18 AM   #4
adamj12b
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB View Post
I recently installed a digital volt meter in my dash so I can monitor my battery levels. My question is, how much should the voltage drop on take off? A full charge on my batteries reads 38.2V. When I fully depress the pedal on takeoff, it will initially drop to 32V and then rise back up as the speed increases. The faster it gets, and the lesser the load, the higher it will get. It will usually only get back up to 37V will I'm going. After I stop, it will slowly rise back up to around 38V. Just wondering if this is normal or if it indicates weak batteries?
I would have to guess that your batteries are a couple years old and you have some larger tires??

When you say that 38.2V is fully charged, is this a few hours after the charger has been taking off? I have seen my voltages up around 39-40V until I driver the cart the next day.

I have also seen voltage drops like you have mentioned, But it takes heavy acceleration to get it that low. I have seen my cart go as low as 28V, but this is after driving for awhile.

-Adam
adamj12b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:54 PM   #5
BigB
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for your replys. Yes, 38.2V is a full charge after it has been sitting for a day. It gets up to around 45V before the charger shuts off. Yes the cart does have 22" tires on it with stock motor and controller and solenoid. I have upgraded the cables to #2 welding cables throughout. One more question. I've noticed after I drive it around for a little bit, that the cables coming from the F/R switch get pretty warm, also the solenoid itself gets pretty hot. The motor is just kind of luke warm and the cables at it are cool. Maybe I should upgrade the F/R and solenoid?
Old 03-15-2010, 10:07 PM   #6
adamj12b
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Quote:
Thanks for your replys. Yes, 38.2V is a full charge after it has been sitting for a day. It gets up to around 45V before the charger shuts off. Yes the cart does have 22" tires on it with stock motor and controller and solenoid. I have upgraded the cables to #2 welding cables throughout. One more question. I've noticed after I drive it around for a little bit, that the cables coming from the F/R switch get pretty warm, also the solenoid itself gets pretty hot. The motor is just kind of luke warm and the cables at it are cool. Maybe I should upgrade the F/R and solenoid?
If you can, check the resistance with an ohm meter of those cables that are getting hot. I have a feeling that they have been over worked and have been annealed from the heat, increasing their resistance.

-Adam
Old 03-15-2010, 10:20 PM   #7
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

You'll find that when you stop, whatever your voltage shows at that moment is most likely around .5-.7 volts low of your actual pack. You'll also find that after 5 to 10 minutes at rest you'll see your final resting voltage of your pack which should be .5-.7 higher then when you first stopped. Don't get too scared as you drive and you see the fluctuations. You'll get confident as to your true pack voltage once you use it for a while. Remember that most take readings when stopped and most don't have a Digital Meter on their cart as well showing the fluctuations.
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:51 PM   #8
BigB
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Adam, I appreciate your reply, but they are brand new cables.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:34 AM   #9
adamj12b
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Quote:
Adam, I appreciate your reply, but they are brand new cables.
I'm sorry, I just read your first reply again. For Some reason, I had it in my head that you had some original wire near the F/R switch. My bad...

If the switch is getting hot, the contacts might be arcing which would create alot of heat. It should not be getting very hot.

-Adam
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car