lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-06-2010, 04:30 AM   #11
keg
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: DS or Not

Again thanks for the answers. Im not going to make it a money pit, So i guess i'll run the same set up.
keg is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-06-2010, 06:41 AM   #12
ajbrown
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
You'd need to get another On-Board computer to properly charge them though. The standard computer isn't setup for that... Neither is the charger... Club Car offers what they call an "IQ PLUS" charger designed specifically for the 8 6-volt setup. Hope this helps.
I converted my CC DS from 6-8v to 8-6v recently. I do not believe the above statement is true. I have not changed the OBC or charger and it "seems to" charge fine. I have been told it may just take longer but no need to change.

Do not take my post as calling you a liar because I am not, I have heard different and if I need to change components as you say I would love to know so I can address it.

Thanks
ajbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:32 PM   #13
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
I converted my CC DS from 6-8v to 8-6v recently. I do not believe the above statement is true. I have not changed the OBC or charger and it "seems to" charge fine. I have been told it may just take longer but no need to change.

Do not take my post as calling you a liar because I am not, I have heard different and if I need to change components as you say I would love to know so I can address it.

Thanks
I've seen it done as well... It will work.. but for how long is the question... Problem number one is the fact that the current OBC on your car will not allow your batteries to "FULLY" charge... It's more run-time than the 6 8 volt setup, BUT it's not charged to full capacity none the less..... The standard OBC is designed to throw a "MAX TIMER" code at 16 hours of charging... This means it will turn itself off if the batteries haven't reached a full charge in 16 hours.. Keep in mind that with 8 batteries, it takes longer to charge them with your charger and that when they are a year or two old they're not going to accept the charge as well as they did when they were new... 16 hours may not be enough time to charge that many batteries when they've got some age on them... Problem number 2 is the charger... It's not heavy duty enough for this type of load, for any length of time anyways.. Be prepared to buy lots of heatsinks for the charger. The IQ PLUS charger looks exactly like the standard charger but it weighs 13 more pounds than the other... It's built for the job. If you're interested in converting it you'll need an IQ Plus computer if your car is an IQ... and an IQ Plus charger. This information was explained to me by a tech rep from Club Car.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:56 AM   #14
ajbrown
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
I've seen it done as well... It will work.. but for how long is the question... Problem number one is the fact that the current OBC on your car will not allow your batteries to "FULLY" charge... It's more run-time than the 6 8 volt setup, BUT it's not charged to full capacity none the less..... The standard OBC is designed to throw a "MAX TIMER" code at 16 hours of charging... This means it will turn itself off if the batteries haven't reached a full charge in 16 hours.. Keep in mind that with 8 batteries, it takes longer to charge them with your charger and that when they are a year or two old they're not going to accept the charge as well as they did when they were new... 16 hours may not be enough time to charge that many batteries when they've got some age on them... Problem number 2 is the charger... It's not heavy duty enough for this type of load, for any length of time anyways.. Be prepared to buy lots of heatsinks for the charger. The IQ PLUS charger looks exactly like the standard charger but it weighs 13 more pounds than the other... It's built for the job. If you're interested in converting it you'll need an IQ Plus computer if your car is an IQ... and an IQ Plus charger. This information was explained to me by a tech rep from Club Car.
I appreciate the info, I have never heard that before. Thanks.

It still sounds like I can stay with the original equipment as:
  1. My charger always shuts itself off in less than 11 hours. I do not know the exact time, but I plug in by 7P and it is off by 6A. I am assuming this means I am getting a full charge?
  2. I will keep an eye on the charger itself. If I start to see issues as you describe I guess I would look into buying one then.

Does this make sense or is there another reason to change out now?

Thanks
ajbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:34 PM   #15
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
I appreciate the info, I have never heard that before. Thanks.

It still sounds like I can stay with the original equipment as:
  1. My charger always shuts itself off in less than 11 hours. I do not know the exact time, but I plug in by 7P and it is off by 6A. I am assuming this means I am getting a full charge?
  2. I will keep an eye on the charger itself. If I start to see issues as you describe I guess I would look into buying one then.

Does this make sense or is there another reason to change out now?

Thanks
It probably is getting a full charge now... But as they age, it won't. The only way you can really tell if it's getting a full charge is by putting a discharge machine on the battery pack and seeing how long they'll run. I know.. I'm spoiled by high tech dealer equipment. But personally I'd try it like it is... Just keep an eye on it.. Grab your cords from time to time to make sure they're not getting hot.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car