lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-19-2010, 06:45 AM   #1
encbuggy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default antenna question

i got the speakers radio 12v accessory plug fan and dc converter installed this weekend. Everything pretty straight forward. I mounted the radio in the center hole of the original "dash" using an aftermarket below dash plastic tub.

one thing that still needs work is the radio reception. it pretty much sucks. i got a http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Marin...ssoriesQ5fGear

and i hid it under the front body skin but it doesn't get but a few stations.

thinking of going to amplified antenna but wanted to hear some comments from others on antennas kind and how installed first.
encbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-19-2010, 06:53 AM   #2
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Default Re: antenna question

I'll be installing a stereo soon, ordered a Kenwood Marine stereo and Polk Audio db 651 speakers so I'm curious as to how you did your setup, (any pictures?) I currently plan on using the center Dash for the stereo and putting my speakers behind the front seat on the shelf, (nearly horizontal but semi-covered.) As far as the antenna I planned on bringing it out from the dash and attaching it to the front frame with tie straps. Currently I have my alarm antenna down there and it picks up the signal from my remote far far away.
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:37 AM   #3
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Scuba,
This is the one I had on my Yami and have on my Ez-go. On the Yami, I attached it to the roof support. On the ez, I ran it up in the cage post.

Works great and I dont have to drill anymore holes

Westmarine.com
Item# 222184
Attached Images
File Type: jpg antenna.jpg (6.1 KB, 6 views)
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:47 AM   #4
scubabud

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by essness View Post
Scuba,
This is the one I had on my Yami and have on my Ez-go. On the Yami, I attached it to the roof support. On the ez, I ran it up in the cage post.

Works great and I dont have to drill anymore holes

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...tial/0/0?N=377 710&Ne=0&Ntt=am fm antenna&Ntk=Primary Search&Ntx=mode matchallpartial&Nao=0&Ns=0&keyword=am fm antenna&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=5003&subdeptNum= 3&classNum=722
Thanks Ess I just ordered my stereo yesterday so it will be a few days before I receive it. Finally I'll be able to play all my favorite songs like some old Shirley Temple movie hits and maybe a few Barney Show songs as well They go so well when tooling around the Campsites... people just stare at you for some reason... must love the music I'm sure!

It's the goood ship lolipop......................... ..............................I love you... you love me...
Old 04-19-2010, 08:55 AM   #5
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Scuba's a show tunes guy
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:17 PM   #6
encbuggy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubabud View Post
I'll be installing a stereo soon, ordered a Kenwood Marine stereo and Polk Audio db 651 speakers so I'm curious as to how you did your setup, (any pictures?) I currently plan on using the center Dash for the stereo and putting my speakers behind the front seat on the shelf, (nearly horizontal but semi-covered.) As far as the antenna I planned on bringing it out from the dash and attaching it to the front frame with tie straps. Currently I have my alarm antenna down there and it picks up the signal from my remote far far away.

yeah i will go take some pics and see how to upload them.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:49 PM   #7
encbuggy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by encbuggy View Post
yeah i will go take some pics and see how to upload them.
scubabud

here are the pics.

DSC03995.JPG

I got some pyramid speakers for $4 shipped since i had a $20 credit at overstock. They actually sound great but they are (after all) only 6 " from my ears!

DSC03998.JPG

I pulled the radio out of wifeys car (see got the factory one back in) and found an under dash "universal" mounting tub that I flipped over and used. I reused the slide in metal bracket from my wifes car to secure to universal mount. I have a gap on the sides but you really can't see it unless you put a light on it. From the front it looks good and clean.

Then DC converter just sits in the pocket under the radio. I ran a 48V + and - to the converter and used the 12V output to power the fuse block for future accessories. I still have the lights running off 1 battery.

DSC04001.JPG

DSC03996.JPG

this pic just shows my attempt to hide the wiring. i was going to run it down the metal roof support tubes but got lazy when i saw where these holes went through to the ground

DSC03999.JPG

I have the fuse block right next to the radio, but I may move it this weekend when I replace my antenna. If i do move it I will hide it away.

My radio also needs a 12V switched power (for the display) so I ordered a 48V relay from Newark that I am going to try and wire through the ignition switch to provide the 12V switched. I also threw in a 12V accessory power plug. The random wire you see hanging down is from a clip on fan I put on for future hot summer nights!
Old 04-19-2010, 12:59 PM   #8
scubabud

Club Car

Thanks for getting those pictures up so quickly! I have a Dash Panel and the center door is where I'll put the stereo which will be hidden when the door is shut. You could mount those speakers on the panel behind and in between your seat backs if they are going to blast your ear drums ya know... That's what I plan on doing with mine once I get my parts from Crutchfield.

I use a 12v constant from one battery for my alarm and that's what I'll use for the Radio display and station keeper but I'll use my 48/12 converter for the main power as everything else I have.

Thanks again
Old 04-19-2010, 01:13 PM   #9
encbuggy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubabud View Post
Thanks for getting those pictures up so quickly! I have a Dash Panel and the center door is where I'll put the stereo which will be hidden when the door is shut. You could mount those speakers on the panel behind and in between your seat backs if they are going to blast your ear drums ya know... That's what I plan on doing with mine once I get my parts from Crutchfield.

I use a 12v constant from one battery for my alarm and that's what I'll use for the Radio display and station keeper but I'll use my 48/12 converter for the main power as everything else I have.

Thanks again

no problem - i was actually already plotting my speaker upgrades before i heard them but they really sound surprisingly good - for now.

some radios want a constant hot a switched hot (for the display so it isn't on all the time) and a lights on 12V to dim the display when you turn on your lights.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car