lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-06-2010, 10:26 AM   #1
Tulsa_Woody
Not Yet Wild

Default 2003 Club Car, New Batts, charger doesn't shut off

I've read through a ton of posts and i think the OBC is shot...here's a little history:
2003 Club Car 48V (4-12V trojans brand new (two days ago) Power Drive 2 48V charger
I plugged the charger on the new batts and it shot up to 15 on the charger...i let it charge for about 5 hours and noticed the batts were gurgling so i unplugged it...then i read that it could charge for 16hrs before shutting off...so i plugged it back up yesterday around 5pm..by 7pm is was down to 4...when i checked this morning, it was still 4 and the batts were gurgling and i could smell sulfer...so i unplugged...
Will a reboot of the OBC possibly fix this, or is it in most cases i'll just need to replace the OBC?
If replacing the OBC, where is it located?
I'm going to buy a volt meter today, but since these were brand new, i didn't think i'd need one. thanks for any info.
Woody
Tulsa_Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-06-2010, 11:32 AM   #2
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2003 Club Car, New Batts, charger doesn't shut off

By unplugging before charger is automatically done you are forcing it to start cycling all over again and yes it will smell and boil some. By dropping down to 4 amps it looks as if the charger and OBC are working correctly? Its nerve racking but should drop to turn off point after running through computer cycles.
If in doubt look up great write up go to search by Doc Bob on how OBC works.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:21 AM   #3
Tulsa_Woody
Not Yet Wild

I read Dr.Bob's dissertation on OBCs and also on installing/conditioning new batts...and bought a volt meter...When i got home from work (cart had been sitting all day without charger hooked up) I put the volt meter on the "pack" just like some of the threads i had read...Newbies----pay attention---turn the "tow/run" switch to "tow", I didn't and i fried the leads on the Neg. part of my volt meter, after that, i was able to get a pack reading of 50.7...so i took the kids for a ride to the playground and then around the neighborhood...got back to the house around 6pm and i plugged it back up...this morning(6am) it was still on 4 on charger...left it plugged it (batteries gurgling)...i get off work at noon and will check to see if it has turned off...that will be past the 16 hour mark and it should have shut itself off.
Woody
Old 05-07-2010, 11:04 AM   #4
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

By the time you get home the charger should have turned off. Let us know what you find.
I would recomened that you get yourself a hydrometer ( single float with themometer for correction of readings ) and use it to verify that all cells in batterys are up to full 1.277charge. See Stickys for rate of charge. With all my batterys I check them at least twice a year or if charge rate doesnt drop as should.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:18 AM   #5
Tulsa_Woody
Not Yet Wild

*update* Well, the charger indeed had kicked off after 16 hours...so my OBC is working...but still seems like the charger is staying on for an unusual amount of time...Yesterday, we took the cart out for a ride of, maybe, a total of 1/2 mile and then plugged back in @ 3:30pm...and this morning at 6:30am it was still charging around 2-3 on the charger meter.
Woody
Old 05-10-2010, 09:49 AM   #6
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

I feel that you can relax as you are just starting the NEW BATTERY 10-15 break in charging cycle. If the charger didnt turn off I would say there was a problem but remember each cart and parts will act a little different. If you are uncomfortable about charging time I would get a hydrometer ( NOT MULTI BALL antifreeze type ) with temperature correcting on side and periodically check all cells for condition ( look at stickies above for scale ).
Old 05-10-2010, 02:52 PM   #7
Tulsa_Woody
Not Yet Wild

thanks for the help Old Mec!
woody
Old 05-10-2010, 04:18 PM   #8
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Looks like you have it figured out... but can I ask WHY you put 4 12 Volt batteries in a 2003 DS car instead of 6 8's??
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:46 AM   #9
Tulsa_Woody
Not Yet Wild

I never said it was a DS...i do know that when i looked up the serial # it was a factory regen...but regardless, it had trojan 12V batts in it...and the tub will only fit those batts.
Woody
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car